Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard start, rough idle, acceleration hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hard start, rough idle, acceleration hesitation

Hey everybody, first time post i hope this gets me where i need to be. So my Cherokee has some issues and I'm assuming they're all one issue. First is getting it started. To do so i have to put my foot to the floor on the gas, then after seven or eight cranks around it'll start. After it's ruining it'll idle super rough until i start driving it. As soon as i go to start driving it'll hesitate as soon as i push the gas, then go after about one or two seconds. If i let out the clutch while it's hesitating it'll die. I just replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs, tps, map sensor, and fuel filter with recent oil change and 44k treatment. Other than the hesitation and hard start it runs fine with seemingly most of its power.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I would suspect the IAC. Did you clean the throttle body or IAC when doing this service?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Not at the same time, but probably ten thousand miles ago i did an induction service on it. Looking though the flapper valve everything looks decently clean. Didn't mention this before but i also cleaned all the grounds and made sure all electrical connectors i could see were good
Old 08-14-2017, 06:20 PM

Year: 1992

When you cleaned the throttle body did you pull off the IAC and clean it?

Old 08-14-2017, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by JPIII
.....Other than the hesitation and hard start it runs fine with seemingly most of its power.
Hello. A lot of your symptoms sound like a fuel injector that is stuck partly open or is "leaking down". When you shut off the motor ones will continue to leak and the chamber fills with some gas until the pressure drops off. When you go to start you have to crank it awhile to burn off that fuel and the wetness on the spark plug etc then it will fire up. As long as you are driving it will run like normal as you are burning up the extra gas it is putting out but stopping will lead to a rougher idle.

That's just my first thought but by all means check out some of the other suggestions as those affect it also
Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

i had similar issues with my 88xj it was the vacuum line coming from the map sensor going to the throttle body it looked like it was plugged in but it wasnt, once i plugged it back it solved all those issues

marc
Old 03-02-2022, 09:33 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2 cents just for others to read and check.

Try pulling the MAF sensor out and cleaning it up or replacing it with a new one if it’s bad. Check under the hood in your fuse box for the 15 amp located closest to the Jeep firewall second or third one in. That controls the O2 sensors and of if it’s blown it will cause issues also. As others have stated the IAC could need cleaned also. Vacuum leaks will effect it also. Possible clogged catalytic converter could cause poor performance. I don’t know a hundred percent and only guessing, but I’d suspect a bad or decent exhaust leak especially around manifold would cause some issue also. I’m not an expert nor a mechanic. I just own a Jeep and have been working on mine and found a few things that work to get it up and running a tad better.