Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Handheld remote trigger starter connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L
Default Handheld remote trigger starter connection

Stupid question time. 2000 XJ 6-cyl.

I'm working by myself this weekend and bought a remote trigger starter so I can bump the motor while under the hood. The instructions for the remote say to attach the two leads to the starter relay on the inside fender, but the starter relay on my year is in the PDC. Am I correct in assuming I can just attach the leads to the posts on the starter solenoid right on the starter instead?

I was about to just try it, but there's a Dire Warning in the instructions not to wire it up until you know the correct location to attach the leads. I know I've seen people mention using remotes on here, but I can't find any specific info. I suspect it's probably too simple a question for anybody to have asked before.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Stupid question time. 2000 XJ 6-cyl.

I'm working by myself this weekend and bought a remote trigger starter so I can bump the motor while under the hood. The instructions for the remote say to attach the two leads to the starter relay on the inside fender, but the starter relay on my year is in the PDC. Am I correct in assuming I can just attach the leads to the posts on the starter solenoid right on the starter instead?

I was about to just try it, but there's a Dire Warning in the instructions not to wire it up until you know the correct location to attach the leads. I know I've seen people mention using remotes on here, but I can't find any specific info. I suspect it's probably too simple a question for anybody to have asked before.
i call it a screwdriver jump,did it much till i got new starter. big red cable to sol wire

Last edited by nujeepguy; 05-21-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

That is probably the correct location.

The best way to verify is to trace the schematic.

Another option is to use a volt meter to verify that the small wire is 0V w/ starter off and ~12V w/ starter on, also verify that the fat wire is ~12V.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wingless
That is probably the correct location.

The best way to verify is to trace the schematic.

Another option is to use a volt meter to verify that the small wire is 0V w/ starter off and ~12V w/ starter on, also verify that the fat wire is ~12V.
Dang it. Both my voltmeters are across town in my warehouse.

I'm gonna try it. Hopefully there won't be any sparks.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

Okay, in case anybody has this same question in the future (because I hate it when people leave issues hanging):

There are three posts on the solenoid. One has a fat battery wire. The other has a connector on it that goes to the ignition switch. The two leads connect to those two. Then you can bump the starter.

Yeah, yeah, it's common sense. But I've never used one of these before, so give me a break.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

now ya know!