Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Handbook and Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
SRB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Handbook and Manuals

Have just bought a 1998 Cherokee 2.5 td Sport. Have tried looking on Haynes website for this model but can't find one. Also looking for an owners handbook. Any ideas where I can get either? Cheers
Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by SRB
Have just bought a 1998 Cherokee 2.5 td Sport. Have tried looking on Haynes website for this model but can't find one. Also looking for an owners handbook. Any ideas where I can get either? Cheers
Owner's manual you may want to try Chrysler Tech Authority, or look for one secondhand on eBay.

2.5L TD? Is that the VAM Turbo Diesel? Look for a secondhand FSM on eBay - probably easiest place to find one. Don't bother with Haynes - it's not a very good manual for US-produced vehicles, and doesn't cover the 2.5L VAM TD anyhow. The FSM should. Expect to pay $50-100 for the thing. You can also try Chrysler Tech Authority for that as well (expect that to be closer to $100-125, tho, for a new one.)

FSM = Factory Service Manual

Are you in Europe? The last US-spec Diesel XJ was made in 1987, and used the Renault 2.1L/126ci turbocharged Diesel. If you have the 2.5L VAM, you've got to have a rig spec'd for either Europe or South America (those markets had the 2.5L VAM as an available option through, I believe, end of production in 2001.)
Old 12-16-2009, 03:19 AM
SRB

Cheers for that info. I'll start having a look around.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0

Something else you might want to consider on the service manual is Chiltons. I've personally never cared for Haynes manuals because the ones that I have used in the past are, at best, incomplete. One manual I owned had several diagrams that would list parts by the number, but when I'd go to the diagram key to see what part the number referred to, it wouldn't even be listed. [Example, part #17 wouldn't be listed in the key.]

But I've always had good luck with Chiltons manuals. They have to be generic, to a point, because they cover so many years in one book, but they're still specific enough to give you the info you need. I also find them easier to read. And they're cheaper than factory service manuals. I think on average they run about $20-$30 each. You can usually find them at any local auto parts store.

Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Chilton's manuals, I believe is the better of the two. Used ones on E-bay, Or search the INTERNET for possible ones in PDF format. I also found the Mopar-Jeep parts catalog in PDF. (Found this to be quite handy) Or login to your local Library. (Mine local library, I can search their Automotive data base from home.)
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by DBGrif97
Something else you might want to consider on the service manual is Chiltons. I've personally never cared for Haynes manuals because the ones that I have used in the past are, at best, incomplete. One manual I owned had several diagrams that would list parts by the number, but when I'd go to the diagram key to see what part the number referred to, it wouldn't even be listed. [Example, part #17 wouldn't be listed in the key.]

But I've always had good luck with Chiltons manuals. They have to be generic, to a point, because they cover so many years in one book, but they're still specific enough to give you the info you need. I also find them easier to read. And they're cheaper than factory service manuals. I think on average they run about $20-$30 each. You can usually find them at any local auto parts store.

Just a thought.
Correct. But, if he's got the VAM turbodiesel (sounds like he does,) the Chilton manual doesn't cover it. Thus, FSM.