Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

H4 High beams stay on

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default H4 High beams stay on

Hi, relatively new here, but I recently followed some of the posts on the forum regarding the H4 (Autopal) upgrade, and used the recommended eautoworks harness as well. My problem is this: when I first pull out the headlight switch, the low beams are on, check. When I push the stalk forward for high beams, or flash the high beams, the high beams come on, check. However, at this point, when I return the stalk to the low beam position, the high beams stay on (though the blue indicator says low beam. The only way to put the low beams back on is to turn the lights off, then it starts on low beam again. This all worked correctly with the old sealed beams and original harness. Do I have a relay problem perhaps? Some of the posts mentioned that the harness does not provide the highest quality relays. If so, is there a source (NAPA?) for better relays? Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Andy
99 Cherokee Limited
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

After the same upgrade, my '99 XJ Limited did/does it too.

I think it all stems from an unadvertised factory fog switch harness upgrade (as a dealership parts tech mentioned once upon a time) but $200 and the pain of underdash harness work made me shy away from it.

After hearing about the harness upgrade, I searched/found that there's 3-4 volts present at the high beam relay coil which prevents that new eAutoworks relay from de-energizing after releasing the high beam switch. The factory fog lamp switch/relay is truly the source of that voltage leak.

If you pull the factory fog lamp relay then it will behave normally. You have to sacrifice the use of factory fogs if you want to keep it that way (or devise a way to eat-up those few extra volts). I'm still experimenting with mods to the fog lamp relay power circuitry.

I had it all working correctly at one point (two LEDs in series with the fog lamp relay coil) until the modification failed but it was a good indication that I've almost got it.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Edit: I like ^that^ answer better than mine
Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Default Possible solution

Thanks, in doing some further research, on another forum, I found the following posted solution:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/he...roblems-86711/

The only question I have about this is I am not sure which relay is the one for high beams; how can you tell?

Also, another person says pull the fog relay out and bend the #2 pin?

Have you looked at these potential solutions?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by Agrout
Thanks, in doing some further research, on another forum, I found the following posted solution:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/he...roblems-86711/

The only question I have about this is I am not sure which relay is the one for high beams; how can you tell?

Also, another person says pull the fog relay out and bend the #2 pin?

Have you looked at these potential solutions?
Hi Agrout,

Thanks for bringing your search result to my attention.

You asked "how to tell which is the eAutoworks high beam relay" because there are two? Disconnect one or the other then try your high beams for each until they don't work. You will have identified it by elimination.

I will opt to cut and jump that 20ga red wire to the eAutoworks high beam relay, but I will test it out first by using a temporary jumper. If my memory serves me right - a risk I'll take for now - terminal 87 is the output pin of the normally closed switch in that relay so it should open when the high beams are turned on (plausible - but I could be wrong). My educated guess would be that the high beam circuit is using the normally open switch output.

Since I can't be sure if the same terminal markings named will be found, until I find said markings then I will assume that I'm looking for a normally open vs. normally closed switch set-up. A couple of simple tests will help to identify the right connection points.