Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

To guys with the RC 3" AAL lift kit I need a favor please

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default To guys with the RC 3" AAL lift kit I need a favor please

To anybody that has the Rough Country AAL 3" lift.

Can someone give me the part number of the shocks that came with their kit? The numbers are stamped into the shock body like so.

Front and rear would have different numbers obviously.

I've run across a little issue and just want to double check my parts.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Dan

Last edited by danimal; 11-01-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Man this forum moves fast. Already fell to the third page.

Bump....

Anybody help a brother out?..

Chirp chirp.........
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 2.5L

i have it ill check it for you tommorow
Old 11-01-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks

Much obliged.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Ok front is 009025

rear is 009281

since I just had to crawl under it in the dark, will you share what the possible issue is?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Yes and thanks a lot for doing this. It is much appreciated.

The numbers you gave me match up with what I have. It appears that the shocks are too long for the lift. In the following pictures it shows what I'm talking about.

This is the shock at rest. Just the weight of the vehicle sitting on it in the driveway. See how compressed the shock is?

Now we'll put a little weight on that same side using the jack. The sway bar has been removed here so not hindering it's movement at all. Look at the top of the tire/wheel. It's a long long way from making contact with the inner fender. Normally not a terrible thing provided it's being limited by the bump stop or sway bar. It isn't......... Also notice that the spring still has some arch to it. The shackle hasn't moved backward yet either so there should be some more travel there.

In this photo the jack is maxed out, but the truth is the upward movement (stuff) had stopped after just a couple cranks on the handle.

Why you ask? Good question.

In this photo nothing has changed. Still on the jack and just moving around the truck taking pictures. Check the distance between the bump stop and the axle where it should be making contact. There's like 4" of space before it hits. Also notice the shock on the right, and the empty sway bar mount. The next photo will show it better, but the shock appears to be fully compressed.

Finally what I believe to be the problem. Check the shock. Again nothing has changed. Just taking photos.

Looks to me like this is what's holding up the works. Again the bump stop is still 4" from making contact with the axle, and there is no sway bar connected.

Obviously using the shocks as a limiting device is not a good thing and will likely mess up the shocks. Also giving away a ton of articulation to this. It absolutley will not stuff a wheel and the other side won't droop worth a darn because of it.

If you just buy a lift for the looks, it works fine. You can't feel this crawling the mall or cruising down the highway, but you sure can when you're trying to get your truck to wheel.

Giving up a lot here the way I see it.

I've emailed RC's tech support and we'll see what comes back.

Am I looking at this wrong, or missing something in the test process?

It almost appears I'd be better off with a stock length shock rather than these.

The real test will come tonight after work when I perform the same test with the shocks completely removed. I'm betting she'll stuff a bit further than this.

Last edited by danimal; 11-02-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Sorry double post

Last edited by danimal; 11-02-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Sorry double posted
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM

Let me know what they say, I had another issue that concerned me when I got mine. The shocks had no resistance to them. Called the company that sold me the lift and they said that's normal. Anyway I put them on and the ride just feels really soft. Never thought about lifting it like you did to see, jacked it up a few times and wasn't paying attention to that.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 AM

I noticed that the dampening with new shocks wasn't all that great as well. to be honest I didn't expect the shocks to be anything too spectacular. I mean it's a $300 kit. You'll spend considerably more on just a good quality set of shocks than the whole lift cost. How good could they be. My ride seems to be alright, but the shocks that were on it were completely shot so I had no where to go but up.

If you get a chance, throw a jack under yours and see if it's not the same. I'd be curious.

Like I said I'll be taking the back shocks off tonight and do the same test. That should be the real deal and show if the shocks are really holding up the works.

EDIT: Well I was wrong. The shocks were not the problem. When I removed them and performed the same test, I got no more travel than I had with them on.

I don't know if this is all it's got or what. Anyway wanted to clear the air. Although the shocks looked like they're compressed all the way in the photos, they aren't and it's not limiting travel in any way. There's at least another 2" or so left in the shocks when the wheel is jacked up.

Still seems like something is holding it up, but it isn't the shocks or the sway bar.

The search continues.

Last edited by danimal; 11-03-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 PM

NVM just saw your post.

Resistance from the springs? Not really sure, seems odd.

Last edited by sv41878; 11-02-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

theres only one solution.... lift it some more !!!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by krkx93
theres only one solution.... lift it some more !!!
You may be right. However, this one is my stepson's and will have to stay where it's at unless he wants to take it up at some point. He's a 15 year old high school student and intends to continue on with his education after high school (= no money for half a dozen years), so this is probably as high as it goes for a while. I sort of adopted the project just because I like messing around with vehicles and it gives us something we can do together. I just want to make sure I'm maximizing the potential here.

The puzzling part is I think I've seen photos of others with the same lift (or similar) with a lot more travel/flex. Can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong, or it that's all she's got.

Here's what gets me, there's no sway bar and no shocks, it appears that the spring has more travel, but that's as far as it goes. Even observed the shackle and saw that it is moving freely forward and back through the process.

Now I kinda wish that I had checked all this prior to putting the lift on. Gotta wonder if the bump stops were hitting before the lift when flexed hard.

Last edited by danimal; 11-03-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

yea cuz mine will stuff the tires in fenders with the swaybars still connected but you can lift it another two inches for under 100 bucks
Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by krkx93
yea cuz mine will stuff the tires in fenders with the swaybars still connected but you can lift it another two inches for under 100 bucks
Yeah, I've been doing my homework and know my options. The additional lift is cheap (not including an adjustable track bar, lower control arms, SYE etc etc that may be needed).......the tires are not cheap though. I don't think I could leave the puny 31's on there if it was at 5".

Last edited by danimal; 11-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

ive seen a bunch 5 in. with 31s it dosnt look bad and ive done a few like that. the stock control arms will work. you can make the tranfer case drop with 1x1 tubing and jsut buy longer bolts. for the track bar you just drill another hole a half in. over you shouldnt need a sye kit for 5 in. you can get buy with a t case drop

Quick Reply: To guys with the RC 3" AAL lift kit I need a favor please