Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

green puddle in morning for past three winters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default green puddle in morning for past three winters?

Well okay weird question? If I look under my xj in the am after a cold night to warmer morning I get a softball size puddle under the front center. It comes of the front of my oil pan so I'm guessing water pump? The t-stat housing is dry. I noticed that when I go outside while the puddle is there and if I squeeze the top hose I will get coolant dripping all over underneath. If I start it I get zero leaks? I let it warm up and then turn it off, go back 4 hours later and squeeze away no leaks? Is this crazy or what? I'm thinking water pump time,, if so does the rad. need to come out?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 litre

it could be a bad gasket, because if its warm, the metal would expand, making a better seal, and it gets cold, and contracts, thus not making a seal, so it could be a gasket or water pump. also, check and see if the bolts are tight on them.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Green Poodle

My sister had a green poodle once, result of some food colouring die.
Now I also have once found a green poodle under my Cherokee, long time search and head scratch, even scratched the head of the friendly poodle.
Finally I found a very very small pinhole along the seam of my hoseclamp on the rad hose. This was a difficult find, when I replaced the hose I was surprised to find a much larger wall failure on the inside of the hose, I guess it was progressing from the inside outward. Check around your clamps, how old are the hoses? PS The poodle washed out, but now the cat is pink
Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by peep
My sister had a green poodle once, result of some food colouring die.
Now I also have once found a green poodle under my Cherokee, long time search and head scratch, even scratched the head of the friendly poodle.
Finally I found a very very small pinhole along the seam of my hoseclamp on the rad hose. This was a difficult find, when I replaced the hose I was surprised to find a much larger wall failure on the inside of the hose, I guess it was progressing from the inside outward. Check around your clamps, how old are the hoses? PS The poodle washed out, but now the cat is pink
I like pink pu$$y......cats