Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

got the alternator in.. now this

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs down got the alternator in.. now this

a few days ago i posted a thread about testing my wires and putting in my alternator. well i tested my battery wires and the volt meter tester says im putting out 14.53 volts(or holms or whatever idk lol). my buddy says it could be my voltage regulator thats putting out to many volts which is killing my battery and making my alternator pop the alternator fuse. anyone else have a second opinion on this one? im tired of going thru batteries!!!!!!!! o ya the alternator is fine... Thanks!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

alts are supposed to put out 14.4. means its working good
Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

o i thought it was between 13-14.... not 14.5 lol. alrighty tho so i shoulnt worry about that 1 im guessing thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by myHEEPis.rad
a few days ago i posted a thread about testing my wires and putting in my alternator. well i tested my battery wires and the volt meter tester says im putting out 14.53 volts(or holms or whatever idk lol). my buddy says it could be my voltage regulator thats putting out to many volts which is killing my battery and making my alternator pop the alternator fuse. anyone else have a second opinion on this one? im tired of going thru batteries!!!!!!!! o ya the alternator is fine... Thanks!

Man theres so much wrong here, should be checking DC voltage. Ohms is resitance and thats not how to check alt output. Plus you should test it when loads are on (blower, defrost, lights) at about 1500 rpm unless you have a charging at idle problem. Then check again with loads off, should be less with loads off. But voltage is not going to cause the fuse to pop, the amperage output will. So you have a shorted alt. or an short to ground on the charging circuit causing the alt to produce full amperage that its capable of. To check for short to ground put your metter in ohms and test the circuit for short to ground.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by petesxj
Man theres so much wrong here, should be checking DC voltage. Ohms is resitance and thats not how to check alt output. Plus you should test it when loads are on (blower, defrost, lights) at about 1500 rpm unless you have a charging at idle problem. Then check again with loads off, should be less with loads off. But voltage is not going to cause the fuse to pop, the amperage output will. So you have a shorted alt. or an short to ground on the charging circuit causing the alt to produce full amperage that its capable of. To check for short to ground put your metter in ohms and test the circuit for short to ground.
well i aint no electric/wiring professor but i think thats what im gonna try next. well all of what you said lol
Old 02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

i put in a 136 amp alt off of a fullsize dodge pick up. didnt change anything else except upgraded to 4g wiring and havent had any problems(stock was 90 amps). in fact it is one of the best $35 upgrades i have ever done
Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by myHEEPis.rad
well i aint no electric/wiring professor but i think thats what im gonna try next. well all of what you said lol
is it still blowin the alt fuse with the new alternator?