Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Good Mechanics are so hard to find

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Good Mechanics are so hard to find

Take my 2000 mint condition XJ to my mechanic to have a service and have tires rotated and balanced. Mechanic returns my Jeep to me with several of its original Stainless Steel lug nuts missing, replaced with dirty bolts. Hoped I wouldn't notice. -I don't think so. (This is what it looks like with its original lug nuts attached)
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Don’t jump to conclusions . The “ stainless “ is typically just a cheap outer layer and if a lug nut is stripped or too tight it’s common to ruin the outer layer getting the lug off . He could have had a heck of a time getting your lugs and ruined a couple of the coverings . Wouldn’t be his fault imho .
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
Don’t jump to conclusions . The “ stainless “ is typically just a cheap outer layer and if a lug nut is stripped or too tight it’s common to ruin the outer layer getting the lug off . He could have had a heck of a time getting your lugs and ruined a couple of the coverings . Wouldn’t be his fault imho .
Yes, understood. But this same guy tried returning my Jeep once with the center wheel 'Jeep' hub missing. I caught that before I drove it out of his shop. I can go on. He replaced the engine in this jeep, took him a year to get things right so the vehicle wouldn't over heat and stall out with a brand new rebuilt engine in it.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:26 PM

So why did you give him more business after bad dealings in the past ? Stockholm’s syndrome lol?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 PM

So why did you give him more business after bad dealings in the past ? Stockholm’s syndrome lol?
-you're right. I need to search for a new one
Old 01-20-2019, 11:43 PM

Try online reviews but be cautious not all are accurate some people just hate everything
Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by CityCountry 4wheeler
Take my 2000 mint condition XJ to my mechanic to have a service and have tires rotated and balanced. Mechanic returns my Jeep to me with several of its original Stainless Steel lug nuts missing, replaced with dirty bolts. Hoped I wouldn't notice. -I don't think so. (This is what it looks like with its original lug nuts attached)
Try online reviews but be cautious not all are accurate some people just hate everything
It is not only that but people who are not satisfied with the garage are the ones more likely to post a review. They had a bad experience, are pissed, and need to vent. People who are satisfied with the service less likely to take the time to do so IMO.
I get why CityCountry 4wheeler is not happy. It is not the fact that the caps separated from the lug nuts. Hey stuff happens. And this is pretty common. It is the simple fact that they did not tell you and explain why this happened (crappy design).
That would have been the end of it.
Being aware of this replaced mine with the McGard lug nuts.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcg-64010/overview/

Say they won't rust and have a lifetime warranty. Been awhile now and they have a small spots of rust on them. On some of the points that come in contact with lug wrench. So minor. I don't see the rust till I actually take them off.
I have thinking about checking out the warranty. Just to see how easy/hard it is going to be. At some point I will probably buy a package of 4, warranty 4 (you have to send them in and I am not about to run my Jeep missing a lug at each wheel), and we will see how it goes.

Last edited by Ralph77; 01-21-2019 at 01:42 AM.