Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gonna tackle the radiator, input would be awesome

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Gonna tackle the radiator, input would be awesome

So, here's a new one for you guys. I am gonna be putting my new rad in either tomorrow or sunday, and I had a friend who was gonna help me but he kinda had to bail and I need this in. So take a WILD guess who is willing to assist; the same person who has told me I could ruin my XJ without the proper experience.. My mother. Here's the thing, I have a Haynes Manual for my 91 XJ, and I know the chapter for replacing the rad like the back of my hand.. only prob is, my mother has totally killed any self-confidence I had and now I am terrified to do the job. Isnt this just all it takes?

Disconnect the neg battery cable for safety

Make sure the engine is cool

disconnect the e-fan, pull it out, and the move the fan shroud back

Have a bucket ready and drain the rad, then disconnect the upper and lower rad hoses

Disconnect the tranny cooler lines (top is wrench-off, bottom is needle nose pliers to push in the tabs and pull of right? might need some help here)

remove the brace on top of the rad

disconnect the rad-to-condensor mount if I even have one

then lift it out

put the new rad in, making sure it is seated properly

put the rad-to-condensor mounts back on

reattatch the upper brace

reattatch the tranny lines (not sure how this works, some input would be REALLY appeciated)

put on the new hoses and clamp them just tight enough

fill the rad with coolant mix

leave the cap off and start the engine while checking for leaks, and wait for the thermostat to open so I can add coolant as needed to burp the system

Does this sound right? I really want to do this, but like I said, my self confidence has been shot down. Thanks for all input!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Also, I am replacing the t-stat and its housing. And I have heard the upper and lower rad hoses may need to be trimmed.. can this be done with regular scizzors? And should I get some thread sealant?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

The termostat housing is fragile and if your not careful you'll be buying a new one.

Tighten the longer bolt down tight, then just snug the lower, if you try to torque it down like the top one, you will be visiting the parts store looking for a new housing. I've replaced two of them. I was even being careful with the second one knowing they're fragile.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 liter HO

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
So, here's a new one for you guys. I am gonna be putting my new rad in either tomorrow or sunday, and I had a friend who was gonna help me but he kinda had to bail and I need this in. So take a WILD guess who is willing to assist; the same person who has told me I could ruin my XJ without the proper experience.. My mother. Here's the thing, I have a Haynes Manual for my 91 XJ, and I know the chapter for replacing the rad like the back of my hand.. only prob is, my mother has totally killed any self-confidence I had and now I am terrified to do the job. Isnt this just all it takes?

Disconnect the neg battery cable for safety

Make sure the engine is cool

disconnect the e-fan, pull it out, and the move the fan shroud back

Have a bucket ready and drain the rad, then disconnect the upper and lower rad hoses

Disconnect the tranny cooler lines (top is wrench-off, bottom is needle nose pliers to push in the tabs and pull of right? might need some help here)

remove the brace on top of the rad

disconnect the rad-to-condensor mount if I even have one

then lift it out

put the new rad in, making sure it is seated properly

put the rad-to-condensor mounts back on

reattatch the upper brace

reattatch the tranny lines (not sure how this works, some input would be REALLY appeciated)

put on the new hoses and clamp them just tight enough

fill the rad with coolant mix

leave the cap off and start the engine while checking for leaks, and wait for the thermostat to open so I can add coolant as needed to burp the system

Does this sound right? I really want to do this, but like I said, my self confidence has been shot down. Thanks for all input!

Sounds about right...cant think of anything you missed. But just keep your cool and dont forget anything, if anything double check as you go.