Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

"Is this going to be a Problem"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default "Is this going to be a Problem"

Hey guys I jus got done putting oil in the new pan and finally bringing it back down off the blocks ITS BEEN QUITE THE UNDERTAKING This was my first project and I'm hoping I didn't screw up big time. Well I had the lead wire that goes to my cap off! So I could prime the oil pump before realy crankin it over to fire it up I let it crank for about 30 sec 5 times tthinking that would be enough for the pump to start pumping.So then I hooked up the lead wire and fired it up! It fired right up I let it idol for about 3min when it sounded like it was knocking and then it started making a grinding sound so I shut it off and checked the oil level and it was good! I called my buddy he told me it sounds like the oil is not pumping but my question is did I jus realy screw up my Jeep can someone tell me What I'm doing wrong, PLEASE HELP PLEASE!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Are you showing oil pressure?

Why did you have the oil pan off? Did you do the rear main seal? Torque the bearing cap to spec?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

^^^ what he said.

Need Input.