Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Getting custom leaf springs, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default Getting custom leaf springs, any suggestions?

Well I know a gentleman who owns a very large spring shop here in town, complete with a forge and everything for making his own leaf springs. He usually works on like tractor trailers and dump trucks and that sort of thing but he said he'd toy with the idea of making offroad springs as something on the side. And since my Rough Country leaf packs have sagged down to being about stock height I think I need some new ones. Deal is I get them made and installed for free if I put a sticker for his shop on my Jeep.

Question is what should I go for as far as stiffness? My Jeep does mostly rockcrawling but i'd like to get into trying some high speed stuff a little too, leaning toward going a little stiffer.

The RC springs I have now are so soft every time I went over a bump in the road with the Jeep fully loaded I would bottom out on the bumpstops. As of right now it also axle wraps like crazy.

He thinks I should go a little more on the softer side, he said it wont have any travel if the leaves are too stiff and he said he can make them progressive by making the main and upper leaves pretty soft and the lower ones stiffer.

He said he can end up designing them so I end up getting 2.5in of lift from just the springs which would work well with my 1.5in shackles. Im not sure what I want exactly though, anyone know a little about this and want to weigh in?