Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'Gen' warning light - have I got a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 'Gen' warning light - have I got a problem?

The next episode in the process of getting my 8 years standing Canadian Cherokee - now imported to the UK - working properly is this:

A couple of weeks ago I drove about 20 miles with headlights on. The 'Gen' warning light was on all the way. The first difficulty was ascertaining exactly what that light meant since it's not mentioned in the user guide. Searching the forum tells me it means battery not charging. So firstly, am I right about that?

On that drive there were no other symptoms. Lights remained as (pitifully) bright as usual. No indication of lack of charge. Later I checked battery voltage - 12.5V (battery is new). Voltage with engine running 13.7V. They seem OK to me?

Since then the light has not come on at all, and there have been no charging problems.

Is this likely to indicate a problem ahead? Clearly something was going on. I should say the heater fan motor seems to have stopped working. Could that be connected?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Could just be bad connections or a failing volt meter/gauge. Factory gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Could also be that the alternator really is on its way out.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Steveda
The next episode in the process of getting my 8 years standing Canadian Cherokee - now imported to the UK - working properly is this:

A couple of weeks ago I drove about 20 miles with headlights on. The 'Gen' warning light was on all the way. The first difficulty was ascertaining exactly what that light meant since it's not mentioned in the user guide. Searching the forum tells me it means battery not charging. So firstly, am I right about that?

On that drive there were no other symptoms. Lights remained as (pitifully) bright as usual. No indication of lack of charge. Later I checked battery voltage - 12.5V (battery is new). Voltage with engine running 13.7V. They seem OK to me?

Since then the light has not come on at all, and there have been no charging problems.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You are correct what the light means. First thing you should do is check all of you grounding points. Also have your battery load tested. If still having the problem pull you alt. and have it bench tested. Check all the connections to the alt. and starter.

Is this likely to indicate a problem ahead? Clearly something was going on. I should say the heater fan motor seems to have stopped working. Could that be connected?