Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

gearbox/clutch/newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default gearbox/clutch/newbie

hey all,

This my first post so go easy!
I have just brought a jeep cherokee 2.5 petrol, manual, 1994.
Have an issue with getting it into gear from a standstill, like if i have just started, put clutch in wont get into 1st 2nd 3rd 4th but can usually just about get it into 5th, and it grinds into reverse, then i can swap it back into 1st. is getting harder and harder. when driving normally gears are ok, little stiff but nothing major. any one got any ideas, im thinking along the linesod master slave clutch cylinder, linkage?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 2002 WJ 4.0

sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. you could start by bleeding it if you can and checking the system for leaks. how many miles are on the jeep?

zedpapa
Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Year: 1991 XJ SPORT 2 DR.
Engine: 4.0 600 HP

Originally Posted by jamie192
hey all,

This my first post so go easy!
I have just brought a jeep cherokee 2.5 petrol, manual, 1994.
Have an issue with getting it into gear from a standstill, like if i have just started, put clutch in wont get into 1st 2nd 3rd 4th but can usually just about get it into 5th, and it grinds into reverse, then i can swap it back into 1st. is getting harder and harder. when driving normally gears are ok, little stiff but nothing major. any one got any ideas, im thinking along the linesod master slave clutch cylinder, linkage?

Thanks in advance
that problem is caused by the clutch not disengaging all the way.
if its grinding going into reverse thats a sign, so check out the master or slave for leaks and try to bleed the system.
if that doesnt work replace the master first and bleed it again.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

ah as i thought, its done 100k miles, i thought that was the case, i know my way round a car pretty well just was unsure if there was any common problems that i might overlook. going to change gearbox oil and bleed the clutch this week, guess that will give me more idea! thanks for the quick replies! really helpful
Old 01-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 2002 WJ 4.0

be careful about what oil you put in the trans. i used regular gear oil and my ax-15 doesn't like to shift in the morning. most people here will say to put a synthetic of some kind in it. redline and penzoil both make a manual trans specific fluid but i have heard of people using 10-30/40 motor oil with good results. do some research and figure out what you want.

zedpapa
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM

hey all i have had a look inside the footwell at the clutch master cylinder, it is a bit grubby and looks like it has leaked a tiny bit. the piston has a small amount of fluid on it, does this means its gone? and replacig this is likley to sort out my clutch problem of it not releasing the clutch enough.

Any ideas would be great,

Thanks in advance.