Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauges stop working Intermit

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauges stop working Intermit

I have a 98 and a 2000 Jeeo Cherokee Sport and they BOTH have the same problem.
I can be going down the road and the Tach and the Speedometer just Stop working, sometimes if I pound on the dash they will come back on.

Thinking it was a loose connector, I took out the Instrument Cluster and pushed it back into the connectors, several times, I pulled the IOD fuse and re inserted it several times. Still have the problem

Any Ideas?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM

Default Re: gauges not working

I had the same problem with my 1999. If you wiggle the main wiring harness below the dash, the gauges will start working again. The problem is with the plug that the instrument cluster plugs into. I will attach the tech bulletin that explains the fix. Hope this helps. ( can't figure out how to attach the file. The tech bulletin number is 08-15-99 )
Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by miklos
I had the same problem with my 1999. If you wiggle the main wiring harness below the dash, the gauges will start working again. The problem is with the plug that the instrument cluster plugs into. I will attach the tech bulletin that explains the fix. Hope this helps. ( can't figure out how to attach the file. The tech bulletin number is 08-15-99 )

Thanks! I called the Dealer with your info and now they seem to know something. Before it was bring it in and we will check it out. Yup! at $90 per hour, I was going to jump on that suggestion.

I got the Plug and there are Ten wires that need to be soldiered, no problem. I bought some shrink tubing as well and it seems to be the plug more in the middle of the cluster.

They even gave me a copy of the bulletin. You were right and I will put it in this coming weekend.

Take care and Thank You.