Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauges & foot lights not working *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Gauges & foot lights not working *HELP*

So the issue's never end. I am now having an issue with my gauges they wont read anything or my dome lights work as well as my foot lights on the floor.My light cluster work's but the gauges don't turn on i have checked all fuses idk what to check next.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Both fuse boxes ? Turn headlight switch to left does dome come on ?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by freegdr
Both fuse boxes ? Turn headlight switch to left does dome come on ?
i checked both boxs and both are good. The dom light will not work i tried turning the headlight switch all the way a couple times and nothing.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

The gauge cluster and the lights (I think) are two separate issues. When the gauges stop working, Try giving the dash above the cluster a slap and see if the gauges come back on. If they do you ether have a loose connection or dirty connection behind the cluster. You will have to remove the cluster and clean and tighten all the connection. Along with the grounds back there. I believe that there are a couple of grounds for the instrument light back there too.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: L6 4.0

Gauges - Fuse 9 in the PDC (by passenger side right foot) or as mentioned smack the area around the dash a bit. For my '98 hitting it front on worked more than hitting it from the top, but try both.

Here's a thread on how to get the gauge cluster out in the event that smacking it works - hitting it will only fix it temporarily, and you'll need to remove the cluster and clean the contact pins with some sandpaper wrapped around the tip of a flathead screwdriver, and reassemble with some dielectric grease: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/in...cement-141566/

Dome light - Fuse 16 under the hood, or it's time to grab the multimeter and start checking for shorts. Check your headlamp switch again - twist it all the way to the right, then a bit more. It should have a "click" feeling as it pops into the dome light position. If the dome light and foot lamps don't come on then, or when your doors are open, it's time to start checking bulbs for being burned out, or wires for being shorted out.

You can pop the dome light off of the ceiling by sliding it towards the front of the Jeep. You'll notice wiring that goes to the dome light and wiring that goes to some circuit board I'm assuming is a placeholder for the overhead console. If you unplug the connector with 3 wires (pink, yellow, black) going to the dome light, check the voltage from the pink wire to the black wire by touching the probes to the corresponding spots in the connector. You should read battery voltage (12-13ish volts). The pink wire to the yellow wire should read the same, but only if the door is open or the headlight switch is clicked into the dome light position - otherwise the yellow wire shouldn't ground.

If the pink wire doesn't show +~12V against the black wire, there's a problem somewhere along the path from Battery->underhood junction block fuse 16->20ga pink wire->PDC->20ga pink wire->dome lights and it'll take a bit more work to track it down... I'd highly suggest finding a copy of the XJ field service manual to check out the wiring diagrams.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by XJ ED
i checked both boxs and both are good. The dom light will not work i tried turning the headlight switch all the way a couple times and nothing.
Now check for power at both sides of fuses.