Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gas Tank Vac Hoses P0456-P0422

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Stumped!!! Gas Tank Evap Hoses CEL P0456-P0422

OK,2001 XJ with 162K. Runs strong and I have changed the gas cap with a Mopar, the Leak Detection Pump and the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid.
All vacuum lines visible in the engine compartment appear to be in good shape as are the elbows and connections to/from the intake manifold. I still keep getting P0422 and P0456 codes. I clear them and they come back in pretty short order. Sometimes only one, sometimes both.

Does anyone have any pictures of vacuum/emissions hoses going into the gas tank? Is this typically where the problem lies and if so, how do you fix it?
Any writeups on this problem? It's driving me nuts and I have already throw about $180 after it in parts with no success.
Whats avg. cost of having it smoke tested?

Last edited by cropduster; 07-12-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: revise title
Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Since no one jumped in to respond here which I'm seeing isn't all that uncommon, unfortunately. I found the fix on my own.

If you are routinely getting these codes don't start replacing parts until you have looked at the rubber connections going into the charcoal/Evap canister approx. over the rear axle drivers side. $5-$8 in fuel injector or fuel line hoses and some smaller band clamps and you will save yourself quite a few $$$. I kept getting the either or both codes and finally looked at the Evap canister connections. The metal line coming from the gas tank...think it's the overflow...anyway, it had a rubber connector going into the Evap canister and the connector was quite deteriorated and looser. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. Will see over the next few days.

Last edited by cropduster; 07-11-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Well by way of followup...less then 36 hours after repairing what I thought had to be the problem, I got a P0442 CEL code again. I'm stumped. I 'm not throwing any more money after this stupid tree-hugger emission bull****. I'll put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL on the dash and drive around happy.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cropduster
Well by way of followup...less then 36 hours after repairing what I thought had to be the problem, I got a P0442 CEL code again. I'm stumped. I 'm not throwing any more money after this stupid tree-hugger emission bull****. I'll put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL on the dash and drive around happy.
Lol. Ive got p0442 also. I smoke tested it myself and the only thing i came up with is the filler neck. Specifically the hoses are old and shrink over time and alow vapors to get through where the clamp should be sealing.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JJCIII

Lol. Ive got p0442 also. I smoke tested it myself and the only thing i came up with is the filler neck. Specifically the hoses are old and shrink over time and alow vapors to get through where the clamp should be sealing.
Found out while i was changing out my filler neck that both portions were so rusted where the clamps were that when I tried to slide them out they just broke right off. Well that's done and now I'm awaiting the evap monitor to complete without throwing a code again.