Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

gas tank /line question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Default gas tank /line question

ok so iv got a nick in my gas line i think because right a round were the bottom lines goes on the nipple on the tank theirs lots gas leaks slowly ,now im wondering if i pop that line of and cut of were the cut is will gas pour out of the tank and line ,i could pinch of the line ,but would the tank drain ..plus it has a full tank

Last edited by jacob.; 12-10-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

My suggestion would be to either syphon the gas out, or wiat till you are almost empty, then repair the line. However, just be careful, as this would not be a good place to use a cut off wheel.
Then repair the line, or just replace that whole section of line, as part of it went bad, maybe be from rust, we don't know, but if part of it failed, there is a batter chance that another part would, plus i'd feel safer if I just replaced the whole section.

Just my opinion, but if you syphon, use an actually syphon, as huffing to syphon is very dangerous.

Good luck

** Dumb moment, thats rubber line there, right? Replace the whole length, and I would just wait til it runs out. pulling it off will get you a face full of gas, which I have done, and it aint fun. HAHA. Anyway, yeah, syphon or run it till you are low on gas, then replace the line.

Last edited by CPLSeraphim; 12-10-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: stupid moment. LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
My suggestion would be to either syphon the gas out, or wiat till you are almost empty, then repair the line. However, just be careful, as this would not be a good place to use a cut off wheel.
Then repair the line, or just replace that whole section of line, as part of it went bad, maybe be from rust, we don't know, but if part of it failed, there is a batter chance that another part would, plus i'd feel safer if I just replaced the whole section.

Just my opinion, but if you syphon, use an actually syphon, as huffing to syphon is very dangerous.

Good luck

** Dumb moment, thats rubber line there, right? Replace the whole length, and I would just wait til it runs out. pulling it off will get you a face full of gas, which I have done, and it aint fun. HAHA. Anyway, yeah, syphon or run it till you are low on gas, then replace the line.
ya that would be the rubber line witch is about 7 or 8 inches long ,syphon seems like a lot of work right now and seeing as in going Wheeling tomorrow i be using that tank of gas,thanks for the info
jake
Old 12-11-2011, 02:50 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

NP. I was having a full on retard moment there, but good luck, let us know how it goes for ya.