Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gas leak, '96 sport/diff. leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gas leak, '96 sport/diff. leak

Hi,
Excuse me if this has been covered, and also for not being much of a mechanic as well as new. I've got a '96 Cherokee sport, with 150000 miles. For a couple months, it's smelled like gas, and there seems to be a little leaking on the bottom of the tank immediately behind the rear axle. But it's not much. the tank doesn't empty out. I didn't notice this happening before an attendent over filled the tank once back in July. Also, I sometimes add to the tank with a jerry can. Does it sound like gas got into an expansion tank, and it's gradually coming out when I drive around? Do I have to worry about doing anything if this is the case, if I can live with it?

While I'm here, a mechanic at an oil change said there was a slow front differential seal on both sides. Another mechanic said this was normal, and not to worry about, if I don't see any leaking. I don't. There is a little oil on the bottom of the front of the transmission, though. I had the differential and transmission (manual by the way) oil changed within last 5,000 miles. And also on the bottom half of the rear differential I see oil (not gas)- I saw the thread regarding the plug leak and will take a look to see if that's what I've got there. Sorry for such basic stuff, but I'm going on a long trip and trying to figure out how much to do beforehand to the old thing.
Thanks for your help!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Check the fluid levels in all of the gear boxes you mentioned seeing oil on the bottom of. Chances are they are all small seep type leaks. Cherokees are notorious for this. There is a phrase saying "It's just a Jeep marking it's territory". Well, that is true to a point. If the fluid level is actually low in any of the gear boxes, you should probably address those leaks before your trip. If you start tearing into your Jeep looking for leaks, and aren't that experienced, you may bite off more than you want to chew before your trip and probably when it really wasn't necessary. Like if you have a slight seep coming from the rear main seal, which most 4.0 motors do, at any given time. It would put oil on the oil pan, tranny pan and could even put some on the bottom of the rear diff. It's really an issue you can just deal with when you have the time...and it involves removing the entire oil pan, which involves disconnecting most of the front suspension and you have to remove the rear main cap and then you have to coax the upper half of the seal, that's been being baked by the motor for 100K+, out of the engine block. I hope this helps you out.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll see if I can check the differential level, at least rear, and otherwise not dismantle the car any more until I have to time to put it together again. Then I'll go mark some territory.
Any thought on the gas seap showing up on the rear bottom? Is that gas in the expander tank?