Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel pump ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel pump ground wire

New to the forum but I'm stuck on a repair and could use some help. I have a 96 jeep cherokee 4.0 2wd.

The problem started with the fuel guage dropping to empty and stalling. Figured it was the crankshaft position sensor so I replaced that. Still was happening randomly.

Started tracing wires from my fuel filter to the pump at the tank. Figured out when i held the wires a certain way, I could get the jeep to stall. So started wiggling the wires at the tank and traced it to the black ground wire. Couldnt get it to make a good connection so I cut the wire, stripped it a little and wedged on the connector. Fuel pump works! Now ground cable is no longer secured...

So my question is how do I attach this ground cable securely and safely?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

A picture of where you have cut it and "wedged on the connector" would help.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Hey thanks! Sure, just ran out and took a couple.

So thats the top of my gas tank and the fuel pump is on the inside opposite the wires. The black wire is the ground that runs from a connector with the fuel relay, to the fuel pump inside the tank here. It broke off right at the the tank. When i wedge the black wire behind the metal tab thing (what it was connected to before) i can turn the key and hear the fuel pump run and the gas guage works.

How can I reconnect the ground wire now? I guess how do i attach it firrmly so it grounds well?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Well, if it were me, I'd drop the tank so I could get to it. Then I'd use a small self-drilling screw to make a new ground point. I'd make sure to keep the spot where I'm drilling in the screw bathed in motor oil, to prevent any sparking.

Then I'd cut the end off that wire cleanly, crimp on a ring connector, and put it back together.

If you are worried about sparks, you could remove the pump from the tank and work on it well away from the tank.

OR just replace it with a new one. Make it a Bosch if you do. It's the only one that's proven reliable.
The following users liked this post:
photo4x5 (06-28-2022)