Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel pressure test port question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question Fuel pressure test port question

I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee Limited. It's not wanting to leave the driveway. It will start fine but once I press the gas pedal it dies. I had this problem before and it was a clogged fuel filter. So I went to replace my fuel filter but first I was relieving the fuel pressure by taking the fuel pressure test port cap off and there was no cap on the test port! Could this be causing my problems and if so can you even buy a replacement test port cap? I haven't been able to find any online. Weird too since I haven't noticed or smelled any fuel coming out of the engine compartment. Unfortunately last time a shop changed out the filter so not sure how long the cap has been missing.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Removing the cap will not relieve the fuel pressure. It's necessary to depress the pin inside of the schrader valve/test port. It's the same kind of valve that holds the air in your tires. Removing the caps on your tires won't let the air out of them - you must press the pin inside the valve. It's the same thing.

The cap is only there to keep the valve clean so that it doesn't get contaminated with dust or dirt, or get corroded. Otherwise, it may not seal correctly after checking the fuel pressure. A properly functioning schrader valve/test port won't leak.

Having said that, my cap is also missing, and I intend to find a replacement the next time I visit my local junkyard.

When is the last time you replaced your fuel filter?