Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

FUEL PRESSURE

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default FUEL PRESSURE

I've had this problem for a while now with my fuel pressure not staying up . After it warms up and i shut the motor off the fuel pump runs for a good 2-5 mins. Then wont start again until I let it cool down(but the motor is not overheating). I just checked the pressure on the regulator it works good. I noticed when i first fire up the engine and pull off the regulator vacuum line I have vacuum until the motor warms up then I do not have vacuum there. Before i pull the pump is there anything else i should check? I just had twins so I'm low on cash and trying to fix it.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

trace the vacuum lines.....it should still fire with no vacuum on the regulator. it sounds like you have a weak pump...what is fuel pressure when the motor is at full opp temp?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

injectors are leaking in the intake, put a switch on the positive wire (fat yellow wire under the left foot panel where the hood lever is) of the pump so u can stop it flooding the motor when u turn ign. off.
ah, check the fuel filter too!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

I'll check the pressure again when its warmed up. I gotta wait to get new injectors, when i pulled to see if they were leaking I noticed 3 of them are different then the back 3 injectors, The previous owner (my Bro-in -law) must of put the wrong ones in 3 back ones r the same, front 3 ,1 is metal color ,1 is brown , 1 different brown. the plugs on the different ones are burning hot white. So i'll get them fixed first then go from there, he worked on the fuel pump too so I'll pull it to see what happened there. Anyone recommend a good place to buy reasonable injectors.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

I was readiong the manual and it says "if an abnormally long cranking period is required to restart a hot engine the fuel pressure may be leaking past the fuel pressure regulator or the check valve in the outlet end of the fuel pump"
Why your pump runs-on for 2-5 minutes is odd. But it sounds like the components mentioned above are good the gas wouldn't be flooding you engine. These might be a place to start as they are cheaper than the injectors.
Or maybe ask you bro-in-law what he did and messed with when he did the work. Maybe he has the receipt from the fuel injectors. At least you could check the p/n's on the ones you have then.
Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by stutter1
I'll check the pressure again when its warmed up. I gotta wait to get new injectors, when i pulled to see if they were leaking I noticed 3 of them are different then the back 3 injectors, The previous owner (my Bro-in -law) must of put the wrong ones in 3 back ones r the same, front 3 ,1 is metal color ,1 is brown , 1 different brown. the plugs on the different ones are burning hot white. So i'll get them fixed first then go from there, he worked on the fuel pump too so I'll pull it to see what happened there. Anyone recommend a good place to buy reasonable injectors.
I bought six bosch injectors out of a '94 bmw 520 for 60$at the scrapyard, they are a little smaller in terms of amount of fuel injected but have four holes instead of one and work fine.
The three stock ones still on ur jeep are probably leaking, and the 2-5 min pumping is not normal, your brother-in-law probably bypassed the 3 seconds timer in the ecu so that the pump stops only when in pressure, probably because the retaining valve in the pump is not working, but that will flood the engine and it won't start.