Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel leak at tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel leak at tank

Hi All-
I replaced my fuel pump and filler/vent hoses on my 99 sport. Drove 2 months/roughly 1200 mi without problems, visual or nasal.
However, I just started getting a heavy fuel smell from the tank area. Went under yesterday and saw a wet trail from FP (mine is on top of tank) down front of tank, meaning towards front of the jeep but no active dripping. Reached up to check the ring on top of the FP and it wasn't undone or dislodged to any obvious extent that I could feel and no apparent puddling of fuel in recessed area around ring (tank not dropped during this initial check so just felt around a bit). The fuel line and vent hose appeared properly attached in front of tank and did not FEEL to be detached at pump. Filler/vent tubes and clamps (at tank) unbreached with no moisture around them.
Genius me caved to necessity and drove it into work today (12 eway miles) and came out at lunch to see a few drips apparently made it to the ground from the "wet trail"
QUESTION: I will be dropping tank when I get home to check what's up... Aside from checking the ring and gasket, any advice as to other problems I should be looking for? ... Getting the ring on was a total PITA but I'm confident it was completely on (plus no prob for 2 mos and 1200 mi). I used the gasket that came with the pump (Bosch if it matters), but should I just replace the gasket while I'm in there? Any advice appreciated even if it comes with inevitable observation that I'm a dolt for driving it today
AS ALWAYS, THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 08-14-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I would check if it leaks only under pressure before dropping the tank. You could have a bad fitting on the feed line or a small crack in the line. I know dropping the tank is a chore but if can get away with not having to do it then that is a plus.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
I would check if it leaks only under pressure before dropping the tank. You could have a bad fitting on the feed line or a small crack in the line. I know dropping the tank is a chore but if can get away with not having to do it then that is a plus.
Thanks dans98xj.... by the time I saw your message, I already dropped the tank to see what was up. Ug.

So....I un-did the big plastic retainer nut holding the pump into the tank and d*cked around trying to get it back on without cross-threading for about 2 hrs. For the record - the nut did not appear to be the problem, but I wanted to be sure and didn't see any other obvious issues. Put it all back together and it seemed better but got progressively worse (when I reached up, fuel was puddling on top of the pump, although not around retainer nut)

So, just dropped tank again. Leak appears to be at fitting on pump side of feed line. The new pump had not come with this plastic line clip in pic, so when I installed pump, I cross-referenced size fitments and bought some Dorman replacement line clips (connectors?) 3/8"

QUESTIONS - should I be using a different connector/brand? It doesn't take any kind of O-ring in there, does it - there wasn't one on old pump? Dumb question - the little 12" fuel supply line that runs from the pump (here at this clip) to the hard supply line doesn't only go one way (direction) does it? Meaning, if I inadvertently connected it backwards, it wouldn't cause this problem?
ANYTHING ELSE I should be checking/replacing besides this plastic connector? I've dropped tank 3x now in the last 2 months, I gotta get this right.
Thanks in advance for any additional advice/thoughts.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Here's a dumb question: Does you fuel line going to the pump have the fitting for the quick connect or did it just have a gear-clamp? I would be tempted to remove the quick connect and just clamp it on the rubber line. I hate those quick connect-they crack or don't go on right and then leak.

I did have a pin-hole leak in a fuel line on an old Suburban. I kept getting fuel drips too and could smell gas but it took awhile until I found that pin-hole leak. It was on the metal line though.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 PM

Yeah, the fuel supply "tube" (I finally looked up the proper name haha) originally had a plastic quick disconnect at either end. I'm just stumped as to why one of them randomly began to fail (I had a garage run a hard brake line for me just prior to the "mystery fail" but that shouldnt have messed with anything on the fuel pump I don't think...). Suppose I should just suck it up and try another plastic disco and hope that does it. (Fuel line otherwise appears ok)