Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Issue

I just recently bought a '97 cherokee. Alot has been replaced on it and it is generally in decent shape. I believe I have a fuel leak near the tank. It has a new poly tank and the previous owner said he replaced the fuel pump. Reason I believe I have a leak is I when I go to start after it has been sitting it will crank a few extra times prior to firing.
The jeep has new plugs, wires, and coil on it. My question is, should I just drop the tank and start at the pump and trace the lines or is there somewhere prone to failure that I start at.
I've had an 01 Cherokee for 9 years and never had this problem, had several other problems but not one like this. Just looking for a suggestion on a start.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sounds like it could be a check valve problem to me....

Try the "poor mans prime"
Basically all you do it turn the key to where you turn all the dash lights on and what not....(you can hear the pump kick on too if you listen closely) Then, shut it back off....then on again....

Do this for three to four cycles and then try to fire it up....and she should go..... The check valve itself is located on top of the pump....it connects to another component whose name escapes me at the moment and finally to the pump itself.....
Now, if my understanding is correct, this (and leaking injectors) can effect fuel pressure and lead to issues in and of itself..... You want to go for iirc 45-50 pounds of pressure and it has to maintain that pressure for 35-60 minutes I believe....Hope I was able to point you on the right direction....

There are greater minds then myself on here that may chime in to help you tomorrow.....we're here to help and also, welcome to the forum.....
Old 12-21-2014, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

All it may take is to turn the key on and wait for about 10-15 seconds then try to start should do it. Mine does the same thing when its cold (only) and that is what I do for mine.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the replies, I have done that before and it seems to help. If it is the check valve, to fix it am I looking at replacing the entire pump or is there a another solution? Also when the engine is warm or been it really doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

You can replace the check valve itself....I've read that its recommended to replace the other component too (since you're already there)....I think either one doesn't cost very much....
Old 12-23-2014, 05:49 PM

Three turns of the key and it fires right up. I'm going to order a new fuel pump that comes with everything new. Figure I'll just do it all, I was wondering where I can find a replacement for the small section of fuel line directly from the pump to the hard line.

The only place I was able to see one for sale was on eBay and it was used. I'd rather just put it in all new. Any help on that one?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Engine: 4.0

I just put one of these in last weekend per recommendation from many on CF

Amazon.com: Bosch 67658 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch 67658 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive

Check to be sure it is right for 97.