Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Unhappy fuel injectors

I have an 88 cherokee 4.0. my fuel injectors keep leaking. and it seems only when the weathers gets really cold. we just had an ice storm, these past few days, and when i started my car this morning, i was leaking gas all over the place. the worst its ever been! they we're leaking a couple weeks ago, but when i went to check them the next day, they was fine, no leak. its been a couple of weeks with nothing wrong with them, then today, their leaking again. i've changed the o rings quite a few times, they always seem fine. i know i'm going to need new injectors, but right now, i can't afford them. i just want to know why they leak, and then stop leaking. it doesn't make since to me at all. could it actually be when the weather gets freezing? thanks in advance for helping me out.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 liter

Before investing in new injectors try replacing o-rings on injectors. there are 2 o-rings per injector. Any good auto parts store should carry them and they are only a few bucks each. took me about an hour including wrestling with fuel rail removal. Good Luck
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0. H.O. 242 6-Shooter

Originally Posted by ragster1
Before investing in new injectors try replacing o-rings on injectors. there are 2 o-rings per injector. Any good auto parts store should carry them and they are only a few bucks each. took me about an hour including wrestling with fuel rail removal. Good Luck
"i've changed the o rings quite a few times"

Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 PM

Year: 1996

Those injectors are prone to leaking on the body of the injector itself. I believe its becasue they are a two piece design. I see you've changed the o-rings a couple times already with out any results, that would lead me to conclude that its the injectors themselves.
When it gets cold out, most materials decrease in size, so any small gaps in the body of the injector would get larger as the materials pull away from each other.
Try performing a search on aftermarket injectors on the forum. You'll see many posts with a lot of information. You just want to get a set of injectors to replace what you have, I just ordered a set of ford #19 for $50. Much cheaper than going to adavanced auto and buying 6 new.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM

my bf has an jeep similar to mine, a yr younger, he blew a head gasket a couple months ago. he's out of town right now, but i finally was able to ask him if i can use his injectors. i have them on now. only 2 of them are leaking now. i'm going to get some new ones as soon as my taxes get back. this is just a pain, but i love my jeep. it's my first car, and i'm going to drive it till it dies. i just hope its not any time soon. thanks all for the input.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 PM

Year: 1990

try ebay. you can find 19lb bosch or ford mustang injecters for cheap. I picked up refurbished flow tested ones with a lifetime warranty off of an ebay store for $70 US shipped.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

ya buy better ones...........trash the old renix injectros...
Old 02-01-2010, 09:14 AM

i actually found some new injectors online for $23 each. so much cheaper than $50 at advanced. i have a new problem this morning. my car will not start. the started is going, but there is no fire. there can be a ton of reasons why it wont start. blah. this sucks.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by trishamarie
i actually found some new injectors online for $23 each. so much cheaper than $50 at advanced. i have a new problem this morning. my car will not start. the started is going, but there is no fire. there can be a ton of reasons why it wont start. blah. this sucks.

When the injectors were replaced was the lead for the CPS plugged back in? It is/was located at the back of the fuel rail.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM

everything is connected right. i always triple check my work when i'm putting things back together. everything is connected at it should. all the o rings are in place, none are broken. i don't know whats going on with them. its a pain, but i need to get it fixed. it just takes time, and of course money, which i don't really have. but i'm getting there. oh, does anyone know where i can find a new rail for the injectors? parts for this thing is hard to find around here. there are cherokees all over the place, their great cars, i've had a lot of ppl ask if i want to sell mine, and even more ppl ask about my bf's jeep. everyone wants the parts.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

everything is connected right. i always triple check my work when i'm putting things back together. everything is connected at it should. all the o rings are in place, none are broken. i don't know whats going on with them. its a pain, but i need to get it fixed. it just takes time, and of course money, which i don't really have. but i'm getting there. oh, does anyone know where i can find a new rail for the injectors? parts for this thing is hard to find around here. there are cherokees all over the place, their great cars, i've had a lot of ppl ask if i want to sell mine, and even more ppl ask about my bf's jeep. everyone wants the parts.
a junk yard....and you can also get a set of ford explorer injectors and a high pressure regulator and be done with it.....
Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

ok, i'm going to replace the o rings one more time before i get new injectors. i called napa to see if they had any o rings and they have a kit, that i've never heard of. it had 4 parts to it for 1 injector. here is the kit
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50038+2038004
i have never used this kit before. how do i do this lol? i'm good with directions, so i know i can do it once someone explains it to me.
oh, and advance auto sucks if this fixes my leak. it means they have been giving me the wrong seal kit for a while now.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

ok, i'm going to replace the o rings one more time before i get new injectors. i called napa to see if they had any o rings and they have a kit, that i've never heard of. it had 4 parts to it for 1 injector. here is the kit
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50038+2038004
i have never used this kit before. how do i do this lol? i'm good with directions, so i know i can do it once someone explains it to me.
oh, and advance auto sucks if this fixes my leak. it means they have been giving me the wrong seal kit for a while now.
There are only two pieces per injector, two o-rings. Just go new , or new-used, stop wasting money on o-rings that you should have only replaced once, maybe twice if you thought you wrecked them.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I like it in the dirt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/mor...estions-13848/ This is still in the New posts section. Has more info on injectors than any other thread out there.