Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Tire Rotational Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Front Tire Rotational Noise

Hi all,

I'm a new member to the forum, but have looked up answers many times. I have a 2001 XJ with just over 200K. Over the last couple of months, I have heard an increasingly loud noise coming from the front (left?) tire. What originally sounded like road noise turned into more of a whirring noise that came with each tire rotation. Now, I can begin to feel a very slight matching shake in the steering wheel. I have shaken the wheels to check bearings, with no excess play, and I grease ball joints with every oil change. Jeep drives great - straight and no wobble, can take hands off wheel and goes down road fine. Any ideas or places to check first? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Does the sound increase or decrease with speed? If it does vary with speed then look at ujoints or wheel hub bearings.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM

OldTires, the sound does increase with speed as it sounds like it is directly related to the tire's rotational noise. It has continued after a tire rotation as well. I have checked the hub bearings the only way I know how (shaking the wheel)..any recommendations on checking ujoints?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

It is possible to have a bad wheel bearing and not be able to move the wheel by hand.

You can visually see the u-joints if you poke your head under there with a good light. See if you can twist the axle at all by hand.. if you can you need a new u-joint. Again, they can seem fine by hand but still be bad, so the twisting test only reveals -really- bad joints.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the tip! I will have another look after work this evening.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by aj_berg
t has continued after a tire rotation as well.
What exactly do you mean by this?

Here is a good video on ujoints courtesy of Bleepin

As for checking the wheel hub, jack up the front, support it with jack stands, then take off the tire and manually turn the wheel hub. See how it feels. If the bearings are grinding, chances are you will feel it and maybe hear it.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

I was thinking about this and wanted to add, you should jack up the front end, then double check there's no movement. After that, spin the tire by hand and see if it's "unsmooth" rotating. Obviously if it makes noise, you'll be certain it's at that wheel. Then do the same to the other side and see if it's smoother so you can compare.

I say this just to be sure you've isolated the noise to the suspect wheel. Sometimes sounds are tricky, so you want to be sure. It should be said that you should verify that there's nothing rubbing against the wheel (like a body panel or dust cover that's come loose.)

At that point, (if you have another vehicle or ride) it may be best to take the hub on that side out. If the sound is varying in line with how fast the tire is spinning, and you're certain of the side the only real suspects are the hub and axle u-joint. You have to take the hub off if it's either one anyway and the hub and u-joints are much easier to inspect once they're out and you can manipulate them by hand.

From the desciption, I suspect it's a bad hub bearing since you're describing the classic symptoms.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

OldTires - I took that to mean he did a tire rotation and nothing changed.
Glad to see we're of like mind
Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by OldTires
What exactly do you mean by this?

Here is a good video on ujoints courtesy of Bleepin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVC76dSBNnY

As for checking the wheel hub, jack up the front, support it with jack stands, then take off the tire and manually turn the wheel hub. See how it feels. If the bearings are grinding, chances are you will feel it and maybe hear it.
^^ that was a perfect demonstration to share for explaining U-joints.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
OldTires - I took that to mean he did a tire rotation and nothing changed.
Glad to see we're of like mind
Pat, that's what I was thinking too, but not sure. I was also going to say to check other things other than the Ujoint and wheel bearings but you beat me to it.

OP, when my ujoints went bad, they would really become loud when turning. Also make sure nothing in the brake caliper is getting stuck and causing the vibration you describe.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
^^ that was a perfect demonstration to share for explaining U-joints.
BleepinJeep has a video for just about everything. The guy is a godsend for XJ owners like me that are trying to DIY it.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Ahhhhhh, good call on the sticking caliper possibility. I hadn't thought of that, but with the gouging of the sliders that's common on these that's a definite possibility.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by aj_berg
What originally sounded like road noise turned into more of a whirring noise that came with each tire rotation.
What happens if you rotate the hub by hand at full lock with the front of the vehicle off the ground?
Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by OldTires
BleepinJeep has a video for just about everything. The guy is a godsend for XJ owners like me that are trying to DIY it.
That's about the damn truth. I've taken on several projects on my own after reviewing... I've wrenched on my own vehicles for more years than I care to admit to. lol.... but this is still my first Jeep... so for me, it's more of getting used to the "lay of the land" so to speak than anything else.
Also with these older Jeeps... once you see how things are, they are pretty easy to work on for the most part. I completely did a new front-end like a week after I got her home.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Just the info I needed. Have same situation except right front wheel. Bought couple months ago. My first jeep all original with 187,000 on it. Noticed when I bought it the tires were not rotated and front right was low. Filled tires up and rotated same problem on right front. Brakes are firm with no pull. My experience with vehicles are maintenance and bolt on. My guess was bearings but did not want to take shot gun approach. Thanks so much! Btw - search does work

Quick Reply: Front Tire Rotational Noise