Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Shock problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Front Shock problems

Trying to change out the front shocks on my 1990 (new to me) cherokee. The bolt keeps spinning and ive tried all i can think of besides cutting the bolt to remove it. Any ideas?

also, im getting a loud thud sound when im in 4WD which gets faster as i drive. my brother has a for parts 1997 grand cherokee and im wondering if the Tcase will bolt on to mine.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Are you talking about the top stud? You have to hold the flat tab on top of the stud with a pair of pliers and then turn the nut. The bottom bolts have a nut on the bottom side
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Which "bolt"? The lower are a nut & bolt combo. You need two sockets or a socket and a wrench to get them off. The upper fastener is a nut that spins onto the shock rod as a sort of stud. Spin the nut with one wrench and hold the shock/stud in place with a smaller wrench. It's cut at the top to fit a 6mm crescent wrench if memory serves.

As for your 4WD need a lot more details... Are you driving it on pavement? Which transfer case? For all I can tell from here the thud is because the car in front of you keeps throwing out dead bodies.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by salad
Which "bolt"? The lower are a nut & bolt combo. You need two sockets or a socket and a wrench to get them off. The upper fastener is a nut that spins onto the shock rod as a sort of stud. Spin the nut with one wrench and hold the shock/stud in place with a smaller wrench. It's cut at the top to fit a 6mm crescent wrench if memory serves.

As for your 4WD need a lot more details... Are you driving it on pavement? Which transfer case? For all I can tell from here the thud is because the car in front of you keeps throwing out dead bodies.
Bottom bolt. I saw it was a nut and bolt so i put on a wrench on the bottom and it was still so tight i almost broke my socket wrench.

As for the 4wd after the massive snows we got this winter i was snowed in almost 3 feet. so i guess yes under my car was pavement it was "thudding" trying to get out of it. any time after that even on dirt it has been giving me the same problems. Even today when the car was up i turned the front drive shaft and it was a very light Thud
Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Ok then if you can cut that crap out go for it. New shocks should include bar pins, hardware wise find some 5/16" grade 8 stuff. Just cut off the heads and it'll fall out.

4WD-wise U joints are a normal wear item. Put the entire front end up in stands and turn things, looking for slop.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If you know ahead of time that your going to be working on something try spraying it wit PB blaster for a week or so ahead of time. Then give it a chance to soak into the rust to loosen it up hopefully it will turn right out..