Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front End Vibration after replacing Sway bar Links

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Front End Vibration after replacing Sway bar Links

I just replaced my sway bar links and bushings and now I have a vibration coming from the front end when I brake at low speeds (5-20). It doesn't seem to be brake related because I did not have the issue before replacing the links and there is no vibration in the brake pedal when braking. The rest of the front end is stock to my knowledge (replaced steering gear box but other than that its stock) so I'm not sure if it is stemming from something else. If anyone has any advice of what to check that would be great before I throw parts at it.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 AM

New links, excuse the moisture everywhere I was messing with the heater hose and spilled some coolant everywhere.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Are there any rubber isolators on the top of those coil springs? From the pictures it looks like the spring is just directly against the chassis. That would be a major vibration source (up and down vibration that varies with road surface and speed). Refreshed end links can translate jolts across the axle from spring to spring that weren't happening before. Maybe the picture just makes it look that way.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Are there any rubber isolators on the top of those coil springs? From the pictures it looks like the spring is just directly against the chassis. That would be a major vibration source (up and down vibration that varies with road surface and speed). Refreshed end links can translate jolts across the axle from spring to spring that weren't happening before. Maybe the picture just makes it look that way.
Yep that will cause bad vibes, mine has the same issue but it's not worth the effort for me to bother.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Thank you! I believe that must be it. I assume I should do that when changing the springs with my upcoming lift?