Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front drive shaft vibe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default front drive shaft vibe

99, auto, np242, 4.56s. RE 3.5 sf, tc drop

hey all,

I pulled my front drive shaft because on the highway i get vibes around 65+ mph. Before removing the shaft i did check for play and the slip joint does have a bit of a wobble. after having removed the front drive shaft is there anything else that i should considered having attributed to the vibes?
with that said what kind of play is normal on the pinion/TC yoke side to side, in/out? theres hardly anything but nothing is solid firm. the TC has some in/out play- a very little side to side.

thanks for your insight

Last edited by 4x4jeepmanthing; 08-20-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'm pretty sure that there should be zero play at the pinion yoke.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

I have had some bad front driveshafts, whether a worn slip yoke or worn u-joints.
The noise they made was a usually a repetitive groaning waa waa waa waa waa sound.

Are you still hearing noise with the driveshaft removed? Vibrations or grinding or groaning?
The FSM has a page or two on drivetrain noises.

Sometimes (rarely I think) the bushing inside the TC tailshaft housing gets worn. If that is the case it is best
to replace the housing and bushing assembly with a Mopar one (about $45).

in my experience it is hard to locate the source of some vibes since there are many possible sources.
Sometimes you have to let them get worse so it becomes evident what they are, or you can spend a lot
throwing parts at the problem.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BwanaBob
I have had some bad front driveshafts, whether a worn slip yoke or worn u-joints.
The noise they made was a usually a repetitive groaning waa waa waa waa waa sound.

Are you still hearing noise with the driveshaft removed? Vibrations or grinding or groaning?
The FSM has a page or two on drivetrain noises.
- i do not hear further vibration noise with the drive shaft removed, i did just feel/check both ends that were connected to see if something seemed worn.
Sometimes (rarely I think) the bushing inside the TC tailshaft housing gets worn. If that is the case it is best
to replace the housing and bushing assembly with a Mopar one (about $45).
- bushing? im unfamiliar with a bushing in the TC, do you mean bearing? should there be any play on the tc output?
in my experience it is hard to locate the source of some vibes since there are many possible sources.
Sometimes you have to let them get worse so it becomes evident what they are, or you can spend a lot
throwing parts at the problem.
- certainly dont want to go throwing parts at the jeep, but i do want to make sure everything else is in good shape. gears were installed about a year ago and im unfamiliar with what movement a pinion should have. no up/down, maybe a hair in/out. the TC end definitely has some play in/out, little up/down or side to side.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
- im unfamiliar with what movement a pinion should have. no up/down, maybe a hair in/out. the TC end definitely has some play in/out, little up/down or side to side.
My reference to the tailshaft bushing was for the rear driveshaft. You can disregard that.

I guess you are just talking about the TC end of the front driveshaft. I just crawled under
my Jeep and the TC end has maybe 1 mm in/out play and no up/down side/side play.
There is a bearing just inside behind the seal. If the seal is not leaking, the bearing is
probably ok.

But if you removed your front driveshaft, the TC yoke end does not spin and can't make
any noise.