Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Front coil spring spacer installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Talking Front coil spring spacer installation

i recently purchased a budget boost for my cherokee. it's got 1.75 inch front coil spacers. i was just wondering if anyone could help me out by telling me the step by step process of installation. thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Should have come with instructions - if not - check their website
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

jack up XJ put on stands, behind the CA mount. Unbolt shock, sway bar, jack up axel, mount sprint compressor, lower axel. may need to jack up opposite end of the axel alittle, pull out spring, slide space in put spring back in. Do the same for other side.

I left out some steps but they will be obvious when you get going.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey my front coil spring spacers were a helluva lot easier to install than the rear lift shackles that came with my bb lift from rough country! i'm pretty sure that me and my hombre unbolted way to much stuff when we put the lift on. anyway - here's a pic of mine with the lift and 31's. savor the challenge...
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

^^ how much lift you got on back and on front? bc ur end it higher, LOOKS good, but yeah,,, its not level... or is the pic on a decline?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992

just be crazy careful with the spring compressors i had on slip on me and pop the end of my finger. they are called suicide sticks for a reason. i ended up dropin my whole front axle so i didnt have to use them after they sliped once
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

You don't need spring compressors. If you unbolt the LCAs at the axle, as well as remove the shocks, remove the brakeline retainer from the body (look in the wheelwell it's right there) and put a jack under the opposite side and jack up a bit you can step on the upper ball joint and get the spring out easily. I've done it 3x that way with no problems. Spring compressors are waay too dangerous, avoid if at all possible!!

Note to self: Man that was a ridiculous run on sentence! Hope your students don't see it!

Last edited by asatxj; 03-23-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by asatxj
You don't need spring compressors. If you unbolt the LCAs at the axle, as well as remove the shocks, remove the brakeline retainer from the body (look in the wheelwell it's right there) and put a jack under the opposite side and jack up a bit you can step on the upper ball joint and get the spring out easily. I've done it 3x that way with no problems. Spring compressors are waay too dangerous, avoid if at all possible!!

Note to self: Man that was a ridiculous run on sentence! Hope your students don't see it!
This is the exact way I do it. Much safer then spring compressors I hate those things.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

I used a spring compressor on my lift. Though I did use two. one on each side. They are fine as long as you take care and don't crank em tighter than they should go. Dropping the axle reduced the amount of space they needed to be reduced. A few weeks later a buddy of mine was using a compressor and only used one. he cranked it down way to tight and it bent and the spring shot off and hit the wall taking a chunk out of the cement. Take precautions is all i can say. Compressors are fine and I have used them on diff vehicles just be careful.

Last edited by Daniel_Sach; 04-01-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

I put Jeep on jackstands. Jack up on axle until it lifts a little off stand, then install TWO compressors and tighten the compressors until its resting on the stand.
Doing this several times, alleviates the strain on the threads and compressors that drastically increases as you compress the coil.

After a few times there is enough compression of the coil to allow you to fully lower the axle and work the coil out. And CAREFULLY set it aside.

Spring compressors are NOT evil. Having a well made set and having the knowledge of the proper use of them removes thier evil tendencies.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Howler is correct, there is a proper place for a spring comp. If you don't need to use them why risk damage to your garage or brain? It's no faster to use them than to use the other method.
I have used them to rebuild macpherson struts, they are essential for that. I was careful but still worked fast to get it over with.
as always YMMV
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 PM

just dont by spring compressors from Harbor Freight ive had to break, tou cant rent them from advanced,auzone etc. you also can avoid them all together on an xj
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

I did a 3 inch coil spacer without a spring compressor with new coils.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by brandon mitchell
Me too. I've been searching instructions on how to install my Mr Gasket Coil Spring Spacer but none were reliable.
See my post above, you can do it without assistance and it's very easy. You should have an assistant when working on you jeep anyway. A wrench party is an excellent way to get stuff done and help empty your refrigerator of unneeded beverages!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by asatxj

x2. Do NOT use spring compressors. Dropping the axle is faster, easier and way safer. I just did mine.

BTW, when you reassemble you might have a bit of trouble getting the axle back perpendicular to the "frame" and attached to the pass side LCA. If so, a rachet strap wrapped around the axle and anchored to something solid will give you the leverage you need. You dont need much - just more that you can muster by hand and still slip the bolt into place.

Last edited by CAEMI; 09-16-2010 at 06:10 AM.