Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default front brake problem

Ok i will try to explain this simply haha. I was driving yesterday in my xj and all of a sudden the transmission felt like it was banging against the floor board and the jeep pulled to the right awfully bad. I pulled over and there was smoke coming from the caliper. I looked under the hood and the hose from the intake to the brake booster was barely hanging and very loose on both ends. I replaced the hose and the problem got slightly better.

I later pulled the caliper, pads, and rotor off and looked them over. All were good, i even made sure the caliper was functioning and getting fluid and it was. Once i put it back together i bled the brakes as well. It works now but feels like its pulling to the left when i brake, pretty sharply. It hasnt stuck again so do you think that booster line had something to do with it if it wasnt getting any oil to the booster?

My other question is about a proportional valve. Is there a valve somewhere that sends the correct amount of fluid to the brakes evenly. I believe this may also be a problem.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

The hose to the booster is for vacuum, not oil.

The proportioning valve does just that.. proportions the correct fluid amount and pressure for the calipers/drums it was designed for.

I suspect a sticking caliper.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

when you took the caliper off did you lube the slide pins? if you did i'd say stuck piston
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 PM

well i took it off and used a c clamp to see how the piston was working and everything worked good, idk could the vacuum leak from the booster cause the caliper to stick?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 925speedXJ
well i took it off and used a c clamp to see how the piston was working and everything worked good, idk could the vacuum leak from the booster cause the caliper to stick?
a vacuum leak would cause high idle and a really hard pedal, like if you pump the brakes with the engine off, i had a motorcycle that the compensating port in the m/c was clogged and made the brakes stick, what does your brakefluid look like? 90% of the time its the slide bolts not lubed enough
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is also the possibilty of a collapsed brake hose. They can become weak with age and cause reduced fluid flow to the caliper. If it is pulling to the left I would check the right side hose. Reduced fluid supply to the right side would cause the left side to grab the rotor with more force and pull to the left.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

what happened with this? im having similar problems with my jeep and im bout to go tear it apart right now cuz its been sitting for months now and thats not right lol