Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

front axle U joint question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default front axle U joint question

'99 Chreokee 4.0 li 6cyl. Absolutely stock.
Passenger side outer U joint is bad. Thanks to the "search" function, I found several write-ups on replacing the joint. After you get the axle out, it seems like almost any other U joint replacement.

One question----I need to verify that there are no "C" clips on the inner ends of the front axle shafts. The axle just slides out once you have removed the hub from the carrier, and that seems to be the worst part of the job. Is that right?

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You are absolutely right, There are NO "C" clips on the front D30 axle shafts used in XJs. Once the hub assemblies and brakes are out of the way just slide the axle shaft out of the housing. Be very careful of the seals when you slide the axle out.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Year: 1996-1997
Engine: I-6,4.0-246000+miles

yeah....but if its a 2 peice like mine u have to press out the u joint...just dont break the outer axle in the process...mines stucck on the jack till friday
Old 02-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Thanks!!

After reading the posted horror stories about removing the axle and hub, you guys are gonna hate me, or hate my Cherokee...
I decided to pre-lube the bolts and hub with PB Blaster until I can actually do the work. I removed the tire and wheel, caliper and disc.
The threaded ends of the bolts looked pretty bad, so I thought it might be good to see how hard they were to take out. No problem after a little persuasion on the wrench handle. Once the bolts were out, I soaked the hub to carrier joint, and thought I should try to open it up enough for the PB Balswter to get in and begin to loosen up the bond. So I used a small chisel and tried to open it just a crack. Lo and behold! After about three hits it was open about 1/4". Then just a pull and the whole axle started to come out.
I greased everything up and put it back together until I have the U joint in hand.

I feel lucky!!