Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Axle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Front Axle Swap

New to this! I have a '01 Cherokee with a Dana 30 LP w/ ABS brake system. I want to swap it for a 94 Dana 30 HP axle w/o Vacumn and no ABS lines. Can this swap be done or do I need the High Pinion axle with the ABS from another year to do the swap?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

you can definitely swap the axle in but without the front abs you will probably run into abs issues with lights and whatnot as for teh axle it will bolt right in im really not to sure about the abs though
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Is there something wrong with the unit in there now?
Do you just want to get rid of the ABS?
I've been told just disconnect the unit under the rear seat to disable the ABS. No need to replace the axle.
If it's broke and you want to KEEP the abs just reuse your axles and steering knuckles off the 01 unit. The axles have a tone ring pressed on the spindle part of the axle that the sensor on the steering knuckle needs to see to make your abs work.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

"Is there something wrong with the unit in there now?"

No, just want a little better front axle.

"The axles have a tone ring pressed on the spindle part of the axle that the sensor on the steering knuckle needs to see to make your abs work."

Saw the tone ring and didn't know if I could reuse it or how it was attached. Wanted not to deal with the issues related to sensors not seeing the ring. Plan on lockers front and back and other up-grades. I have the Dana 44 out of a 87 XJ. Going through a mid-life crisis that needs to be satisfied and I'm only 59, Yeah! Drove on Engineer Pass out of Silverton,CO to Lake City. I'm a amateur nature photographer and love the back country. Need a rig that can take me places and bought this 01 Jeep.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put the older axle in the rig no issue. You might also be able to use the shafts from the LP axle, so you can keep the tone rings. You will have to check to see if there is a place to put the pick ups for the tone rings on the older axle's knuckles, and if not, you can put the LP knuckles on the HP axle, I think. I have never even heard of this being done, but I don't see where it would be impossible. I know that the shafts will fit, it's all of the other stuff that I'm unsure of!! HTH!! Anyone that has a clearer explanation of this, please feel free to blast my post!! LOL!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
You can put the older axle in the rig no issue. You might also be able to use the shafts from the LP axle, so you can keep the tone rings. You will have to check to see if there is a place to put the pick ups for the tone rings on the older axle's knuckles, and if not, you can put the LP knuckles on the HP axle, I think. I have never even heard of this being done, but I don't see where it would be impossible. I know that the shafts will fit, it's all of the other stuff that I'm unsure of!! HTH!! Anyone that has a clearer explanation of this, please feel free to blast my post!! LOL!!

^^^^^ Yup, Yup and Yup.

Just swap everything over to the 94 housing as long as the gear ratio matches and you'll have no issues. Axleshafts, outter knuckles, brakes, hub bearings. Done..

Now would be the time to install new balljoints on the 94 housing.