Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front axle rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Front axle rebuild advice

96 XJ 4x4 178K miles (stock)

I read seemingly hundreds of posts of popping, creaking, etc. on the front ends and think that my situation is something wrong in the axle itself. Jacked up front end and checked all connections, etc. Everything seemed okay with the only exception of a slight bearing play in the left front. (The right front was fine). It's the right front that has a pop that is faster or slower (with speed) around a left turn. I've checked the track bar (it's tight), but there is also a thumping that sounds like the shock is a little loose, though I checked that as well. This thump is addition to the ball bearing crunch sound during a left turn. No noise on right turns or straightaways.

How hard is it to rebuild and what's involved. I'm mechanically inclined to a degree but never have done axle work.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default U joint

It is probably the axle u joint worn. Jack it up and roll the wheel slowly back and forth. Watch the inner axle and see if you have any slop between the wheel and axle. You may have to hold the axle still and move the wheel. Wheel bearings ussally grind and u joints pop.