Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Axel Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axel Leaking

just got back from a trail and i noticed that my axel is leaking by the axel shaft. its right in between the ball joints in the middle it seems like differential fluid is leaking from there. is that an axel seal that needs to be replaced or did i mess something up?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

That would be a seal. And the carrier has to come out to replace it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM

and to remove the carrier the axel shafts have to come out too right? so the tires and calipers and hubs all have to b removed and then the carrier just to replace a f***ing $5 seal?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just did the front axle u-joints and hub assemblies, and it isn't that big of a deal. The hardest part is getting the bolts loose and out if they've not been removed in a while. To answer your question though, yes; all of that has to come out to replace the $5 seal.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 PM

ohh. yay. one more question.. since the other side of the axel doesnt look like its leaking.. should i just go ahead and replace both of the seals while the axel shafts are out and everything is taken apart to prevent the other one from breaking later on?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by xXWhiteXjJeepXx
ohh. yay. one more question.. since the other side of the axel doesnt look like its leaking.. should i just go ahead and replace both of the seals while the axel shafts are out and everything is taken apart to prevent the other one from breaking later on?
I'm a man that believes in prevantive maintenence; so my answer would be this: If I was in your situation, I would do both axle seals just to be safe.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Is it the drivers side or passenger side ? Do you have the factory axle with CAD, if so you can do the passenger side without removing the carrier, not a walk in the park, but doable.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM

the seal that is broken is the drivers side. i kno i have to take the axel apart so im just gonna change both while its taken apart to prevent future breaking. thanx guys!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Do you guys have a more technical write up how to do this? I was just informed by the shop that both front axle seals are leaking (on a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee). The mechanic indicated that he would have to open the differential and it would be best to do both front axle seals at the same time. cost for him to do this is $776, I know that I can fix these if given the right instructions. I have a Hayne's manual at home and will check that tonight, but thought one of you guys might have a good write up for it.

The symptoms that lead me to this was grease all over the insides of both front tires (passenger more than driver). He indicated it was the inner seals near the diff.

I have replaced an axle on a Subaru recently, but haven't attempted such on my jeep, so please help!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

just use common sense (dong hang the caliper by the brake line ect) and you should be able to do it just pull the bolts off that look like they need to be taken off, pull off the brake rotors calipers ect, pull the diff cover off, slide out the axle shafts, pull off the 4 bolts holding the carrier in, MAKE SURE YOU DONT MIX UP THE SHIMS AND PUT THEM BACK IN THE WAY THEY CAME OUT.

then pop out the seals from inside the diff and put new ones in after cleaning out the housing and the shafts to make sure theres no dirt ect to tear up the new ones.

put back together.

and yes do both unless you want to spend a whole extra day doing the other side a month from now to save 5 bucks now