Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fog light switch question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fog light switch question.....

hey guys,
My fog light switch seems to heat up really hot once it's on for 10 min or so. I did some searching on the forum and I found a few threads that said to take the switch out and remove the clear bulb(indicator light) and that should help with the heat issue. I did that and now my fog lights don't work. It looks to me like the bulb was used to complete a circuit or something because of the 2 metal tabs that the base of the bulb makes contact with. Please help....am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance : )
Old 09-28-2013, 10:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Look for my thread about 97+ fog light permanent fix. The problem is that Jeep in their infinite stupidity put the working load (+ side) of the power through the switch and used a relay to control the ground. This is why the switch gets hot. My how to thread shows you how to rebuild the switch with a defroster switch and how to rewire it so the working load is where it should be while hijacking the factory wiring. Enjoy.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Removing the bulb is incidental, it isn't necessary for the lights to function.
Khyren is right, the problem is that Chrysler ran power for the fogs directly through the switch instead of using a load relay.
There is a relay (in some cases two) in the circuit, but it is only there to sense the left headlamp and lock out the fogs when your high beams are on, the switch still carries the full load.

The simple fix involves adding one relay and some wiring. Use the existing wiring to operate a new relay (instead of the lamps), then power the lamps through that relay. Don't forget an appropriate fuse.

Last edited by Radi; 09-29-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I did see the thread on how to do the long fix for the fog lights. I was kinda trying to avoid doing all that for now and was just looking for a quick fix. Im still a little confused on how some people are able to just remove the indicator light from the switch and fix the problem. Anybody have any ideas as to my fog lights would stop working after I remove the indicator light?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr45revolver
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I did see the thread on how to do the long fix for the fog lights. I was kinda trying to avoid doing all that for now and was just looking for a quick fix. Im still a little confused on how some people are able to just remove the indicator light from the switch and fix the problem. Anybody have any ideas as to my fog lights would stop working after I remove the indicator light?
Probably has more to do with disassembling an already failing switch than removing the bulb. Makes no sense that removing the bulb would fix an overheated switch unless that very tiny bit of heat is the straw that breaks the camel's back. The bulb is just an indicator, it doesn't affect fog light function.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM

Good call Radi! I had done a crappy job of putting the switch back together. Fog lights work now so I will see soon enough if removing the indicator light helps or not. If not, then thanks to Khyren I will be doing the long fix. Once again guys thanks for your help : )