Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fog light mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fog light mystery

Hello, this being my first post, I guess I should introduce myself.

My name is Brian, and this is my 3rd Cherokee (1989)

I am somewhat familiar with Cherokees, and worked at a Jeep dealer for 8 years. So, I'm a little knowledgeable about this particular animal.

This latest Cherokee I just bought has me stumped.

It is equipped with (I think) factory fog lamps. The lamps do not match each other (to be expected) but the mounts are factory, and they are wired to factory connectors.

Here's the weird part: No fog lamp switch. Now, I admit that I may not be the world's best expert on Jeeps, but I am pretty sure there should be a switch located to the left of the steering column. I cannot find a switch anywhere. Zip, nothing, nada.

What part of this picture am I not understanding? Please enlighten me, oh champions of Cherokee wisdom!

Brian

Last edited by Brian10x; 04-08-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Was it a bad day at the factory and lunch came just as the switch was to be installed? I am assuming there is not even a cutout on the dash? I,ve found the wiring of my 89 to be often dubious and have rewired most of the commonly used circuits with heavier gauge and soldered connections in the persuit of electrical reliability. Is there a relay for the fog lamps under the hood, front left corner, just above the air box intake? If yes, can you trace the control wire back (light green). If no, I would go with install of a relay and fresh switch mounted to your location of convenience.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by peep
Was it a bad day at the factory and lunch came just as the switch was to be installed? I am assuming there is not even a cutout on the dash? I,ve found the wiring of my 89 to be often dubious and have rewired most of the commonly used circuits with heavier gauge and soldered connections in the persuit of electrical reliability. Is there a relay for the fog lamps under the hood, front left corner, just above the air box intake? If yes, can you trace the control wire back (light green). If no, I would go with install of a relay and fresh switch mounted to your location of convenience.
There is a relay MOUNTING BLOCK on the left side near the front, with no attached relay. Wire colors are red, black, green, green/black.

While I'm asking, does anyone here know a good source for a complete wiring diagram for my 89 limited? I'm tires of doing searches for each individual circuit.

Thanks!
Brian