Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flywheel/TC help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Flywheel/TC help!

Alright, my buddy blew his motor. We're in the process of swapping the bad out and putting the junkyard motor in. Now, I wasn't part of the beginning tear down where they took the motor out by itself. I would have taken both the motor and tranny out, together, and then separated later.

The problem is that he insists his flywheel is supposed to be mounted *somehow* to the TQ, which it is. I'm trying to tell him that the flywheel goes on the motor, and that what he believes is the flywheel isn't the flywheel, and that what he believes is the torque converter is the flywheel.

Am I wrong? The flywheel mounts to the block, right?

I didn't take anything apart, his buddy "mechanic" did. I'm not trying to knock someone else's work, but if it's wrong, then it's wrong.

By the way, PLEASE do not hate me, but this is on an 01 Dakota. (Still from the same manufacturer, so don't get that mad!) I've only ever come to y'all for tips and advice and solutions, and every reply I've gotten on my posts has been correct. I trust my XJ forum!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Well his fly wheel doesnt mount to anything, if its an automatic (torque converter says it is) it has a flex plate. It mounts to the crank, which will protrude through the block. I dont really see how you could get the torque converter confused with the flex plate or fly wheel.