Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flushed my radiator, now my serpentine belt is seized!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Flushed my radiator, now my serpentine belt is seized!

I just flushed the radiator and replaced the T-Stat and radiator cap on my 2000 XJ. I did NOT replace the water pump (some because I am lazy, but more because I was a little intimidated by the task.)

The JEEP ran good for about a week...had a small weep from the T-stat housing...but got that tight (after it dripped a small amount of coolant down onto the water pump).

But this morning, I started the JEEP to the worst squeal I think I ever heard! I shut down the car, opened the hood, then tried to re-start it. It seemed that the squeal was from the crankshaft pulley spinning over the stalled serpentine belt!

So, is my water pump seized? Something else?? Did I just ruin the belt? I am guessing I am stuck pulling the belt off to check each cam by itself. I have never done that...but it doesn't SEEM too bad, but without a tension gauge, I'm not sure how to re-tighten it. Maybe I just need a little moral support!

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

THANKS!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Pull the belt off, see what pulley isn't spinning freely by hand.

Replace that one .

Tightening isn't hard. I've never used or heard of anyone using a gauge to find out tension. 1" of up and down stretch is my standard, adjust accordingly.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you have bigger problems than just a loose belt...take the belt off and check all the pulleys. Inspect the belt...it may be fried. Tension on a brand new belt is 180 - 200 lbs...brand new means just that...if it has run more than 15 minutes after being initially properly tensioned it has stretched and is considered used...spec on a used belt is 140 -160 lbs per 95 XJ/YJ FSM. NAPA sells a serp belt tension guage...part # KR2...only way to accurately do the job.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Carl48
Sounds like you have bigger problems than just a loose belt...take the belt off and check all the pulleys. Inspect the belt...it may be fried. Tension on a brand new belt is 180 - 200 lbs...brand new means just that...if it has run more than 15 minutes after being initially properly tensioned it has stretched and is considered used...spec on a used belt is 140 -160 lbs per 95 XJ/YJ FSM. NAPA sells a serp belt tension guage...part # KR2...only way to accurately do the job.
I honestly wouldn't waste my money on a tensioner gauge. But to each their own.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I honestly wouldn't waste my money on a tensioner gauge. But to each their own.
Me neither. It takes a matter of a couple minutes to adjust the belt if you ever feel you need it tighter/looser.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Carl48
OK...If the rain hold off, will do that this evening...what sort of "bigger problems" might I look forward to? What would you suggest normal life of a serp belt might be...I did not see belt replacement anywhere in the FSM maintanance schedule.

Was surprised to see that the gauge was less than 20 bucks online from NAPA...$13.19 from Rock Auto.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

The bigger problems he is referring to is the seized pulley.

Like I said, check to see what pulley isn't spinning freely. Replace that. Really simple , don't let others confuse or deter you.

And don't waste money on a belt tension gauge. Seriously.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Could be a locked up alternator.. Same story here of belt not turning. Twice!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
The bigger problems he is referring to is the seized pulley.

Like I said, check to see what pulley isn't spinning freely. Replace that. Really simple , don't let others confuse or deter you.

And don't waste money on a belt tension gauge. Seriously.
X2 I don't even have one and been working on automobiles forever lol
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Its not the crank pully, thats for sure. If it runs the crank pulley is spinning.

Its either power steering pump, alternator, water pump, or idler pulley.

None of which are overly complicated.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Lots of posts on this forum and other Jeep related forums regarding slipping, noisy belts on the XJ. It sometimes takes a bit of adjusting to get the tension just right. Didn't have a belt tension guage myself for years but saw one at NAPA for less than $20 a while ago so picked it up. Use it all the time now and don't worry anymore about getting the belt too tight.

Anyway, the OP probably has other issues than just a slipping belt...time to remove the belt and check everything...my bet would be a seized up alternator.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:30 PM

Regarding serpentine belt life...lots of variables here but if the belt has been tensioned properly and all the pulleys are in perfect alignment a serpentine belt can usually go 100K miles. However, Gates recommends changing the belt every 4 years... the concern is heat more than mileage. It is hard to tell sometimes by visual inspection the condition of the belt but if chunks of the ribs are missing it is definitely time for a new belt. A little plastic belt wear guage may be available at your auto parts store...they usually give them away free. In the case of the OP...he needs to check his belt carefully for damage related to the loud squeal he heard.

Last edited by Carl48; 07-08-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Once the belt has slipped like that from something not moving you might as well replace it after fixing the first problem. The damage has already been done to it even it it was only a second.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

And the belts are cheap enough, thats for sure.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=jamurrin;2532872]I just flushed the radiator and replaced the T-Stat and radiator cap on my 2000 XJ. I did NOT replace the water pump (some because I am lazy, but more because I was a little intimidated by the task.)

The JEEP ran good for about a week...had a small weep from the T-stat housing...but got that tight (after it dripped a small amount of coolant down onto the water pump).

But this morning, I started the JEEP to the worst squeal I think I ever heard! I shut down the car, opened the hood, then tried to re-start it. It seemed that the squeal was from the crankshaft pulley spinning over the stalled serpentine belt!

So, is my water pump seized? Something else?? Did I just ruin the belt? I am guessing I am stuck pulling the belt off to check each cam by itself. I have never done that...but it doesn't SEEM too bad, but without a tension gauge, I'm not sure how to re-tighten it. Maybe I just need a little moral support!

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

replaced my water pump 2 days ago after an overheating issue, decided to flush system while i was in there.
got everything back on and when i started it up the same thing happened to me. My alt. pulley was seized. $132 at AA and everything spins ok now

Quick Reply: Flushed my radiator, now my serpentine belt is seized!