Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flooded Jeep won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Jeep won't start.

Yesterday I was out driving near butcher Jones Beach in Arizona and I found a puddle that didn't even look deep at all so I went all the way in it turned out it was a pond area it was about 3 feet of water maybe 4 the water was standing as tall as both my front and rear tires. And water was also coming into the interior my footpedals were under water and I have a stock XJ with no lift. After I was pulled out I tried to start it the lights and radio came on but it first sounded like it wanted to start but then it seized up in something clicked in there then I tried again then stop sounding like you want to start and just do the buzz noise instead when I would turn the key it would go bzzzzzzzt. so then we thought the battery was dead we hooked up jumper cables and tried to start it up again and nothing happened I smell smoke from inside but didn't get to see what the guy was doing and where the smoke was coming from he didn't speak English so I couldn't understand he told me to the road and take me home now I left it there how am I going to get home? And what can I do to get it to start?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You put yourself in a world of hurt bud.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Get a towing company to come get you. Tell them you have a 4X4 and need a flatbed wrecker.

Take them to where the Jeep is. Recover it and take it to a trusted mechanic. Then get a taxi to take you to a rental car agency. Maybe the rental car agency will pick you up.

Then go to the bank.

Good luck.

Or: If you have full coverage insurance, call your agent. Start looking for another car.