Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixing Interior Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Fixing Interior Door Panels

The cardboard stuff in my interior door panels has gotten wet many times, and after replacing the speakers multiple times, the cardboard is now pretty much destroyed. I know there has to be a good amount of people out there that have had this same problem, but has anybody done anything about it yet? I'm also interested in wrapping the door panels in a different fabric. Can anybody offer me advise in doing this aswell? I was thinking of maybe just replacing the cardboard with new cardboard, or like a 1/8" mdf board. Open to any suggestions or ideas.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

do diamond plate and have a bling rig
Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

I'm planning to do that to mine since I'm having a hard time finding Limited door panels (I saw a whole junk yard full of XJs & Grands & not ONE Limited! Sux! ).

I took a good look at my panel just yesterday & I see the leather is just glued & stapled on. I plan to go to a craft store and source the cardboard of the right thickness. I figure the old one would make a template for the new. Can't be any harder than making a cubby-hole sub enclosure - which I have done. I have some of the left-over poly-fill for that "plump" look, and I also have some spray adhesive. All these things (in red) I imagine we will need, plus a sharp exacto knife to carve the holes. I say exacto instead of utility knife because the holes for the factory clips are pretty small & you'll need finesse. Also a stapler if you're **** like me. I'm tackling this on my next days off (Mon/Tue) providing I find the cardboard.

But I only need to do 1 panel, maybe 2. Rears are okay. Good luck. I'll prolly do a little write-up as I go. I've never done it before, but how hard could it be?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I did my panels on my old rig with diamond plate. Really easy. I striped the fabric and udes the cardboard for a template. Used a jig saw to cut out. Hard part was finding dp at a good price. I was a little shiny when driving but was pretty much in distructable.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

I'd be interested in that write-up when you're finished and i'd love to see how you make out with the door panels.

I'm not a fan of diamond plate unless it's black and I wouldn't see paint lasting very long on it at all. Diamond plate only looks good on our firetrucks, in my opinion.

How do you guys think a 22 or 24 gauge aluminum or steel plate would hold up? I could probably get 24 gauge brushed steel pretty reasonably priced.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Seasoned Member

I got my dp from a sheet metal shop they considered the peices scrap from other jobs cost less than 100. The dp was a different direction on my rear doors but I did not care. If you wanted to paint the dp have it sand blasted and paint it with marine topside paint(made for painting metals including aluminum). A quarrt at west marine is 40 and comes in basic colors. It takes a few coats with a foam roller to get the texture out but it will last a long time. I have painted several jon boats this way.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

What do you guys think of that fake diamond plate wall panelling stuff? It's like 30-40 bucks for a 2'x4' piece and it seems pretty durable. Home improvement places sell it like Home Depot and Lowes. I work at Home Depot right now on the weekends so I would be able to check it out without going out of my way to go there. I don't know how thick it is though, I will have to look at it. I think it's made of vinyl. Stuff looks pretty legit, but idk how it will wear. If I decide to use it I will definitely make a write-up about it.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

I have not seen this but anything is better than cardboard/wood! The thickness would be the issue. When you take the fabric off you will notice there is a piece of plastic that completes the curve of the panel up to the window, if it is too thick it won't fit right.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
I have not seen this but anything is better than cardboard/wood! The thickness would be the issue. When you take the fabric off you will notice there is a piece of plastic that completes the curve of the panel up to the window, if it is too thick it won't fit right.
Ok, thanks. I was wondering how that plastic hook thing that hooks onto the top of the door was going to work with the new setup. I didn't think of the thickness being a factor with that. I don't want to use something too thin and have the door handles and stuff have a gap behind them. Now taking that the info you just gave me and entering it into the equation, I can't go too thick either. Would that plastic piece on the top matter if I were to screw the panel to the door if I used, say, a sheet metal to replace the current door panel?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
... anything is better than cardboard/wood!
Well, mine is cardboard like all other XJs and it's lasted 18 years. That's an excellent track record in my book.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM

1/4" plywood is too thick. The DPO of mine tried it...does not work.

BUT, Home Depot has thin plastic in 4x8 foot sheets that is flexible but rigid. I have used it to cover 4x8 sheets of plywood for a smooth, clean, white working surface for my wife's scrapbooking. $20 for a sheet, if memory serves. about 1/8" or less thick.

I'd take the original panel and lay it out on the thin plastic sheeting and outline. You can cut that sheeting with stout scissors, tin snips, or even a utility knife. When my panels fail, that is what I'll use.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind when making my final decision. I know 1/4" would be too thick, but I think 1/8" would be just right. It's been a long time since I removed the panels and looked at them, but that's what I see in my mental image.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

I have 4 burgundy panels laying here from an older XJ & I just measured. It's half of 1/8. So I guess that's 1/16 inch?
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
I have 4 burgundy panels laying here from an older XJ & I just measured. It's half of 1/8. So I guess that's 1/16 inch?
Wow, I would have never thought it to be so thin. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kopecki
Wow, I would have never thought it to be so thin. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I'm surprised too ...

Quick Reply: Fixing Interior Door Panels