Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fix one thing find another

Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fix one thing find another

When I bought this thing. It had a brake griding on the passenger side. It was ground down to the metal, and the caliper was stuck. So I thought that was the grinding noise. Well, I just replaced both rotors, calipers, and pads. Bled the brakes this morning. Brakes are working great.. But I still have a grinding noise on the front passenger side, and it's pulling to the right.
I assumed the dragging brake was making the noise and making it pull.. But looks like I got a wheel bearing grinding..
Does that sound about right to you guys?

I took it on a good test drive 65mph.. The brakes weren't hot, didn't have the hot brake smell.. It's got to be a wheel bearing grinding doesn't it?

BTW the lifter tap, is going away. It's a lot better now but not gone yet. Only driven 15 miles so far. But I think the MM oil is working.
It still blows black smoke when I stomp on it, and it bogs down and acts like it might stall when I come to a stop, and the oil pressure drops when coasting through town, comes back up to normal when I give it gas.. Also just barely giving it gas to maybe coast 10 mph, it's jumpy, the RPM bounces 2-2300..
This thing needs a lot of TLC
Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

the grinding could be from bearing. there was someone else on here the other day saying there was a pinoin (i think) that was bent a rubbing. so something like that, maybe... there were some oher issues you had mentioned- the lifters making their noise, are they sticking? sounds like you aded the mystery oil already and its helping... if it keeps blowin smoke, though, id be more concerned about that. a bad gasket seems possible. the oil pressure dropping when off the throttle is ok, as long as its not dropping too low. mine does same thinng.. the rough running issue is pretty common in older jeeps. when was the last real tune up- more than just an oil change? from what you described it sounds like there could be a poss. o2 sensor issue. they can cause the vehicle to buck and chug and hesitate and in general make it seem like its going to stall at a stop. but! o2's are expensive. so start with things under the hood:
-battery/battery connectors
-cap/rotor
-plugs/wires
-clean the TB
-TPS
-IAC valve
-MAF sensor
-good fluids?
right along with the MM is sea foam: gods little gift to engines... try pouring some directly into the manifold. get a buddy to keep the RPM's up and the butterfly open on the TB. if white smoke starts to appear, thats good. just pour a little bit steadily in untill the thing is empty. you can also add sea foam to your gas and/or oil... idk, all of these things are pretty cheap to replace or clean if its an option. good luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000, (1957 Willys)
Engine: 4.0L

Brian,

You're running a 2000? No cap and rotor on that. Glad to hear the lifter tap is a little better.

The only way to check the wheel hub is to jack up the affected side, remove the tire, grab the hub and try to move it back and forth. If you have play in the hub, it's bad. Chances are the other side won't be far behind.

I just replaced mine.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: Straight 6 Cylinder/4.0 Litre

I know what you mean.. I bought a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer about 2 years ago from a tow company. Had about 160,000 miles, it was lifted by about 3 inches, bigger tires(but I hate them), a Garvin Industries roof rack(which is like $400), and some other stuff, but about average for a jeep of 20 years, and I got it for $600.. Apparently a few years before I bought it, the owner parked it illegally, got it impounded,and never went to get it, and the tow company titled it and sold it. I bought it, it only had a few problems. Had a bad thermostat that was sticking and overheating, and then I only needed to do some maintenance after sitting in the tow yard for 3 years not running, new cap and rotor, and some other stuff. Well, my cousin had a corvette and I didn't have my license, so I let him drive my jeep for the winter, and I can't believe I was that stupid. The idiot ran it without an oil cap on the motor and just trashed the motor with oil and didn't maintain it. So cleaned up the motor, but it still leaks. My cousin trashed my ignition and the ignition switch, just got all that fixed and still doing small things, getting my license in a few days, but I've still got some crap to do from my cousin. But all my problems seem to be electrical, like fuses and lights and stuff. Fix one things, like some crappy wiring from the previous owner and then some fuses go bad and yeah. And i still have some motor, still leaking oil like crazy and apparently my cousin broke off 2 bolts in the valve cover, still gotta fix that. But I'm gonna have the sickest rig in the parking lot at school, just still gotta put my off-road lights, winch, and CB and great big whipper antennas, and all my accessories and mounts on my roof rack..
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moncheche
Brian,

You're running a 2000? No cap and rotor on that. Glad to hear the lifter tap is a little better.

The only way to check the wheel hub is to jack up the affected side, remove the tire, grab the hub and try to move it back and forth. If you have play in the hub, it's bad. Chances are the other side won't be far behind.

I just replaced mine.
It's a 99.. It's got new plugs and wires, I don;t know about the cap, but it is clean, so I assume the cap is new too. Yeah the tap is better after only a short test drive it has quieted down quite a bit. When I had the tire off doing the rotors and stuff, I noticed it did have just a hair play in it just very slightly but there was play.
They want 63$ each at Advance.. I found them on eBay for half price.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
the grinding could be from bearing. there was someone else on here the other day saying there was a pinoin (i think) that was bent a rubbing. so something like that, maybe... there were some oher issues you had mentioned- the lifters making their noise, are they sticking? sounds like you aded the mystery oil already and its helping... if it keeps blowin smoke, though, id be more concerned about that. a bad gasket seems possible. the oil pressure dropping when off the throttle is ok, as long as its not dropping too low. mine does same thinng.. the rough running issue is pretty common in older jeeps. when was the last real tune up- more than just an oil change? from what you described it sounds like there could be a poss. o2 sensor issue. they can cause the vehicle to buck and chug and hesitate and in general make it seem like its going to stall at a stop. but! o2's are expensive. so start with things under the hood:
-battery/battery connectors
-cap/rotor
-plugs/wires
-clean the TB
-TPS
-IAC valve
-MAF sensor
-good fluids?
right along with the MM is sea foam: gods little gift to engines... try pouring some directly into the manifold. get a buddy to keep the RPM's up and the butterfly open on the TB. if white smoke starts to appear, thats good. just pour a little bit steadily in untill the thing is empty. you can also add sea foam to your gas and/or oil... idk, all of these things are pretty cheap to replace or clean if its an option. good luck.
Thank you for the list..
I'm going to grab a cold one, see if I can find my multi meter, and start checking these one at a time.. Do you know if the readings on the sensors are in the factory service manual? So I know what they should test out at? The guy I bought it from put new plugs and wires and cap on it. Had an oil filter behind the seat too.. I think he was going to fix it up like I am, but got a new Blazer and decided not to mess with it.