Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First jeep, windshield wipers inop

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default First jeep, windshield wipers inop

Hi everybody a buddy of mine just sold me his extra jeep, it's an 89 cherokee pioneer and it was bone stock and straight, except missing the interior. Now it's rhino-lined and has 3 bucket seats in it and all the plastic bits have been ripped off the exterior. I usually stick to BMWs but I think I'm addicted now.
My windshield wipers don't work, also the brights don't click on (that feels like the switch isn't doing anything). Unfortunately the local junkyard doesn't have any xj's and I can't afford to buy any parts anyway because we're buying a house, so I'd like to know if I can jump the wires anywhere to get my wipers to run for now until I can get a new switch (if that's even the problem).
Here's a pic of it for now, my buddy is fabricating some bumpers for it and as soon as i have some free cash i'm gonna lift it up a bit.
Thanks in advance for any help
Luke
Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

check your fuses first.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 PM

I can't find one for the wipers. Is it under the hood somewhere? All the fuses in the kicker panel box look fine.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by e28rusty
I can't find one for the wipers. Is it under the hood somewhere? All the fuses in the kicker panel box look fine.
Sorry, I know the question is "where's the fuse", but...

use either a meter or test light at the wiper motor plug. See if there's voltage with the switch on. If not, work your way back through the wiring.

Last edited by bobvalli; 10-29-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Originally Posted by bobvalli
Sorry, I know the question is "where's the fuse", but...

use either a meter or test light at the wiper motor plug. See if there's voltage with the switch on. If not, work your way back through the wiring.
X2, Good advice, I was going to say the same thing. I'm taking an electrical class at college and that's the first step for a diagnosis. "Check to see if you have good power and ground at the load" in your case the "load" would be your wiper motor.

P.S.
If you don't have a voltmeter, GET ONE!! One of the most important tools for any XJ owner. You can get very cheap ones at your local auto store or Walmart.... ($10)
Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Ok i just pulled the cowl off, and no juice at the motor connection. I also pulled off the steering column and I cant find any juice at the switch anywhere. What color wire should be hot into the switch? I'm thinking just hook power off another fuse and run it into the switch if it's just missing power..

edit: It looks like the white wire has power at the steering wheel switch when the truck is running. I tried jumping it to a couple other wires but the wipers didn't trigger.

Last edited by e28rusty; 10-29-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

yeah just check all of your fuses. Even if they look fine, pull em out and check anyways. Theres been more than one time that a fuse looked good and was actually blown. Lemme know whats up after that.