Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Finishing drivetrain swap - front end questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Finishing drivetrain swap - front end questions

2000 xj I got as a roller, parted out a 96 with a bad frame. So heres where Im at so far and maybe it'll help the next guy.
- 96 engine needs a 2000 engine harness.
- 96 trans won't work, added sensor, etc.
- 2000 intake has a larger volume than the 96 and is a direct swap - not mention you need all these new sensors anyways.
- the alternators are different
- thermostat at the front top of the engine is different
- you need to swap the dizzy for a cam sensor

So since winter hit i was unable to finish. I have recently got it running well, installed my power steering lines, etc. My questions revolve around piecing the front back together. I have 2 header panels. One bare and one with an electric fan. My engine has the manual steel fan on it, can I still use the electric fan? How is it connected?

Second question, my front driveshaft will not fit. It is too long. Its a slip yoke kind. 96 engine mated to a 99 or 00 trans (same so it shouldn't matter), and 96 front driveshaft. If anyone has some knowledge on this that would be great. Thats pretty much it for now. Just need to figure out harness routing and clean up the engine bay.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The electric fan just slots into the bottom of the frame on the driver side of the header panel. I self tapped a screw through mine although if you have those little screws with clips from anywhere on the donor vehicles engine bay, that would be better. My electric fan clip had a clip wired inside of the engine bay behind the computer on the driver side. I've seen videos on how to run a flip switch if you're in a bind. Also, make SURE what ever you screw it down with isn't too long or pointy. It'll peirce the radiator when you hit bumps and cause a small leak. PITA to have to change the radiator after all this. There are shorter flat end screws for it.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

It can also be driven without the front driveshaft for a spell. I believe.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 AM

Figured out the fan and DS. Front suspension can't be suspended in the air. electric fan sits on the drivers side next to the metal fan.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

You can also drill holes and zip tie it. Easy in an easy out.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 AM

I think my question was misconstrued. I have two header panels that fit over the rad. One bare. One has an electric fan already mounted. Wasn't sure if electric fan also for with mechanical fan. It does. Next to mechanical fan.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Billy Bee
I think my question was misconstrued. I have two header panels that fit over the rad. One bare. One has an electric fan already mounted. Wasn't sure if electric fan also for with mechanical fan. It does. Next to mechanical fan.
Yes you have the mechanical fan on the passengers side and an electric one on the drivers side. There should be a plug popping out behind the drivers side headlight for the fan.