Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A Few Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation A Few Problems

Hello all,

New here, lots of good info...

but...

I just picked up this 01' Cherokee Sport a month ago. 4.0, part time 4x4. Auto, 99,098 miles.

Problems:

(a) At idle, the whole rig shakes, and the tachometer will lightly move back and forth (100 rpms up and down). I have ran fuel treatment through a few tanks of gas, no improvement. I'm thinking new plugs?

(b) Rear end Sag, Would it be better to replace the whole leaf packs or could I possibly swap them with F250 leaf packs? If i did, how much of a lift in the front would I need to equal the lift from the rear?

(c) When I take it out of 4H or 4L it takes a while to go back into 2H, or i have to put in into R and back up for it to come out. Is this normal?

I went from a Jeep Liberty 4x4 to sport tuners, back to the jeep world, and this is where I am staying!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Sounds like you found a nice normal XJ and the mileage numbers are decent too. Good Luck with it. Idle speed variations can mean a lot of things but remember to keep it simple. Clean your throttle body by hand and do a tune-up (always a good idea when in doubt). I add good old Marvel Mystery Oil to my fuel (~4oz MMO:10gal Fuel is the mix ratio) and I never have injector or top-end issues but still need to clean the TB bore occasionally. Check your cylinder head casting numbers (don't quote me but I think "0331" is the dreaded casting numbers) and search for info on those numbers before you go too far down the part replacement path. Replace both of the leaf packs - what you replace them with is entirely up to you and your desired end-application. The transfer case shift delay is normal, each XJ has it's quirks there but you'll find the optimum shift method just by using it...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Welcome. No f250 springs! Unless you want to feel every pebble on the road. Remember an f250 weighs over twice as much as our little xjs. Search around for threads on bastard packs. The idle... what's it idling at? As for 4wd did you check the tcase fluid?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I will clean the TB later on tonight after I replace the transmission pan gasket and filter. I'm thinking about sea foaming it as well. It worked wonders on all my other vehicles.

Also, anyone know much about the fog lights? Mine does not have them nor are the holes cut for them, but I have the wires and connector on the back of the switch cover and there is a place for the 2 relays. Are there going to be connectors for the lights as well or do I have to run wires?

It idles at 800 I think and the Transfer case fluid is normal.

Thanks for the info guys.