Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default fender flares

I have a 2000 xj and i am doing some painting. What are the stock fender flares made of, and how are they help on to the jeep itself?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless i'm mistaken they're plastic. I know they're held on the Jeep by bolts on the inside of the fenders
Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

Yeah there are 'mounting plates' under the flares. Then there are plastic lips on some nubs that stick out on the backside of the flare that fit into holes on the plates. I guess they are brackets huh? Wow, vocabulary FTW!

At any rate, 10mm deep socket.....feel around inside your wheel well and you will feel the bolts sticking out. Lot of times you have to push aside or pull out the rubber mat inside the well. Hands together, kneel down for a prayer....and start loosening them up. They break quite easily (expecially if you live in a rusty area).
Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM

IMO if your wanting to paint them Id do them on the jeep. Cover and tape everything up around it.
Everyone ive tried to remove has broken at least half the bolts from the brackets. You have to buy new brackets or drill out the broken studs and put in bolts in their place.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 PM

ya i figured i could tap them off but i hate taping and wondered how easy it would of been to pull em off sand em and shoot em.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

I'm sure you probably hate taping less than dealing with sheared bolts
Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 PM

good point. I work for a roofing and painting co. so whats a little more taping.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

yeah. I broke almost all the bolts when taking mine off lol. No big deal to me because I was taking them off permanently anyway.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Use Krylon fusion to pain no need to sand just clean real good and paint stuff works great holds up good so far and looks a hell of alot better.

When you snap all the bolts just grind down the the stud ont the outside of the mounting plates and redrill and rebolt sux but it works.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

my wife remover my drivers side one with a Buick i don't recommend this method lol.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Are they painted plastic or the gray/black crap? if they're the grey or black ones might I recommend using a heat gun to bring them back to life
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Default Fender flare repair

If your current flares are back, and or faded to grey, theres a product called back to black that is fantastic. Find it at most parts stores.
first wash flares with a good detergent to remove dirt, wax ect, then dry, take a wax applicator pad, generously apply back to black, go over vehicle 3 times, then take a terry cloth towel and buff, do again next day they should look great. then retouch when you wash jeep.

As far as removal of flares, I have done it several times as I am on a budget I have to reuse as much as I can. first do not get in a hurry in order to remove FF retainer nuts you need to first clean stud and nut with soap and water with a small wire brush, let dry then soak with a pennetrating oil. let sit 20 minutes then start at 1st fender remove tire,fender liner, and speed clips, give yourself room to work.
get a offset wrench and gently turn towards the tighten position. this is to break loose rust, then GENTLY try to turn nut loose about 1/16th of a turn spray with penetrant, and tighten, keep working back and forth say for every 2 turns loose back up 3 and spray to clear rust from thread.
working back and forth until removed or broke off. slow even pressue is the key do not bend when trying to remove or they will snap off.

To paint flares I have found that the major hardware stores offer a lawn furniture plastic paint that works great. Prep your flare using acetone on a rag to open up pours on non painted flares let dry. use long light strokes.
let dry between applications-better to go slow use less paint and not get runs or fish eyes. take your time you can get a great finish for under $20.00 for all 4 flares. good luck Steve
Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by stevedenzik@aol.com
If your current flares are back, and or faded to grey, theres a product called back to black that is fantastic. Find it at most parts stores.
first wash flares with a good detergent to remove dirt, wax ect, then dry, take a wax applicator pad, generously apply back to black, go over vehicle 3 times, then take a terry cloth towel and buff, do again next day they should look great. then retouch when you wash jeep.

As far as removal of flares, I have done it several times as I am on a budget I have to reuse as much as I can. first do not get in a hurry in order to remove FF retainer nuts you need to first clean stud and nut with soap and water with a small wire brush, let dry then soak with a pennetrating oil. let sit 20 minutes then start at 1st fender remove tire,fender liner, and speed clips, give yourself room to work.
get a offset wrench and gently turn towards the tighten position. this is to break loose rust, then GENTLY try to turn nut loose about 1/16th of a turn spray with penetrant, and tighten, keep working back and forth say for every 2 turns loose back up 3 and spray to clear rust from thread.
working back and forth until removed or broke off. slow even pressue is the key do not bend when trying to remove or they will snap off.

To paint flares I have found that the major hardware stores offer a lawn furniture plastic paint that works great. Prep your flare using acetone on a rag to open up pours on non painted flares let dry. use long light strokes.
let dry between applications-better to go slow use less paint and not get runs or fish eyes. take your time you can get a great finish for under $20.00 for all 4 flares. good luck Steve
Not trying to poop on your party, but the same thing can be done easier and faster with the same ifnot a better result using either a heat gun or a propane torch. I have a buddy who used a propane torch to restore the dash in his TJ to what might as well be stock condition. He said it took him all of 5 minutes and it looks amazing.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 PM

I like fire! I cant wait to get a torch & try it. thanks Steve
Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by stevedenzik@aol.com
I like fire! I cant wait to get a torch & try it. thanks Steve
If you go the torch route. MAKE SURE you don't hold it in place too long, the 3400+ degree flame will melt plastic really quick. Just swish it back and forth over the plastic like you're using a paint brush

Quick Reply: fender flares