Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exterior Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Exterior Paint Job

So i have been throwing around the idea of using the Durabak smooth paint to paint my rig sand. It is prolly the only other color i would go with. I am Black currently but need paint pretty bad. I am having some hood and roof rust and want to fix it soon rather than later. I would still leave all of the bumpers roof rack fender flares etc black but i thought it may look pretty darn good sand. Any thoughts? Also does anyone have a good pic of the smooth exterior durabak paint? Thanks all.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Mine is factory (light) Silver metallic. (Unfortunately it's one of the fastest paint to fade out.) And I plan on giving it a new coat of silver soon. I myself have been toying with the idea of; Factory light silver on top, front grill, rear hatch. From the side body line just below the mirrors, down. A gloss black, with thin wispy silver flames. Coming off the grill, (starting where the side markers are) heading back along the sides. With a coat of clear over all. The bumpers, fender flares, Body trim, A Matt finish black. All what would of been chrome, window trim, mirror trim, wipers, etc. Came factory Matt finish already. Later if I add off road bumpers, Or possible bushwhacker flares. I can stick with Matt black finish. They come with. And I don't have to re-do the silver door jams. Or the silver/Grey interior. I think it would look pretty good. And wouldn't be that hard to do. (My rear privacy glass is factory mirrored/ tinted already) Just have to mask off the lower half (inside) of door jams. So they don't get black over spray on them. Good Luck to you. JMO!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Mine is factory (light) Silver metallic. (Unfortunately it's one of the fastest paint to fade out.) And I plan on giving it a new coat of silver soon. I myself have been toying with the idea of; Factory light silver on top, front grill, rear hatch. From the side body line just below the mirrors, down. A gloss black, with thin wispy silver flames. Coming off the grill, (starting where the side markers are) heading back along the sides. With a coat of clear over all. The bumpers, fender flares, Body trim, A Matt finish black. All what would of been chrome, window trim, mirror trim, wipers, etc. Came factory Matt finish already. Later if I add off road bumpers, Or possible bushwhacker flares. I can stick with Matt black finish. They come with. And I don't have to re-do the silver door jams. Or the silver/Grey interior. I think it would look pretty good. And wouldn't be that hard to do. (My rear privacy glass is factory mirrored/ tinted already) Just have to mask off the lower half (inside) of door jams. So they don't get black over spray on them. Good Luck to you. JMO!
that sounds pretty good, tough, but good haha
Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Not really, You use contact paper for the flame pattern. That way, you can get them to match on both sides. (Actually it's a mirrored image) So you use 2 pieces of contact paper. It's transparent enough to trace a mirrored image, on it. And line it up with the body line, on both sides. To do it free hand, on both sides. would be hard.