Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust Pipe Crushed just below header flange

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 4x4
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Exhaust Pipe Crushed just below header flange

Hi,
Under my 1999 Cherokee today and noticed the exhaust pipe just below the header looks like it's been crushed to half it's original size. No way a rock did it or anything else. I think the guy that owned it before changed something cause the pipe size is different. Anyway,

Looking for advise on a "fix" where the exhaust pipe isn't twisted so much. Who makes a good system.? Don't need the header, just the pipe that attaches to the header and goes to the cat.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

are you talking about how the side towards the engine is flat or is it actually crushed?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

pics?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

pic?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 PM

Year: 1991

If its the stock pipe - its there from the factory to keep the front driveshaft from denting it when in suspension uptravel.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

there's a factory dent right after the flare for the header. it's some idiotic design chrysler did. i cut mine out and welded a straight section. no gains. so i'd leave it alone. look at the exhaust in the picture just left of my hand. is this what you're talking about?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Can't really tell from your picture. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it. It is the factory pipe that directly mounts to bottom of the header that comes down along the oil pan and then bends over towards the passenger side and then to the cat.

It could be a factory design, but who in their right mind would dimple the pipe to about half its original size.
I'm going to do something one way or the other. Guess I'll just go to a muffler shop if no-one makes just the part of the exhaust system

Originally Posted by Tural
there's a factory dent right after the flare for the header. it's some idiotic design chrysler did. i cut mine out and welded a straight section. no gains. so i'd leave it alone. look at the exhaust in the picture just left of my hand. is this what you're talking about?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

It's a factory design to clear the front drive shaft. The OE pipes I carry has this as well.

Some have said changing it out yielded great performance while others said they didn't notice much. Either way freeing up the exhaust is not a bad thing.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Hey thanks. What a stupid design, it makes no sense to me at all. It looks like someone hit it with a hammer.

Originally Posted by mudfrog
It's a factory design to clear the front drive shaft. The OE pipes I carry has this as well.

Some have said changing it out yielded great performance while others said they didn't notice much. Either way freeing up the exhaust is not a bad thing.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mudfrog

I just got it back from having the pipe changed. I did notice a signaficant change to throttle responsiveness. It seemed to "motivate" more effortlessly. I can't say that it has much more power and I haven't driven it enough to say if milage has or will increase, --- but I believe it is breathing a lot better and moves out with a lot more ease. I like it!

Oh, buy the way, the Muffler shop agreed with you that this is a factory design. There is plenty of room to clear the front drive shaft. What were they thinking? Maybe if you burned out your valves they could sell more parts?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l inline 6, bored tb.

Originally Posted by whitelite
I just got it back from having the pipe changed. I did notice a signaficant change to throttle responsiveness. It seemed to "motivate" more effortlessly. I can't say that it has much more power and I haven't driven it enough to say if milage has or will increase, --- but I believe it is breathing a lot better and moves out with a lot more ease. I like it!

Oh, buy the way, the Muffler shop agreed with you that this is a factory design. There is plenty of room to clear the front drive shaft. What were they thinking? Maybe if you burned out your valves they could sell more parts?
If you dont mind me asking because today i found this to how much did it cost to replace that piece?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

its there for a reason.........
Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

Its a factory design , but not for driveshaft clearence. It to produce more torque out of your engine by restricting airflow out of it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by The Black
Its a factory design , but not for driveshaft clearence. It to produce more torque out of your engine by restricting airflow out of it.
I disagree.. maybe it's there for the torque but I know of a lot of guys who had custom down pipes made and the driveshaft crushed the pipe back to the factory style.

Supposedly if you have a lifted Cherokee there is no clearance issues, but factory height Cherokee's do need this for that very reason.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Well, I've heard those reasonings too. All I can say is that there is MORE Torque after I replaced it than there was before. I've owned quite a few vehicles over the years and no-one I've spoken to has ever said that a crushed pipe reducing exhaust flow is a good thing (except maybe here). In fact that is why many go to after market headers and after market exhaust systems for better air flow. Hindered air flow causes "back pressure" and may cause burnt valves.

To each his own, after removing this pipe I looked inside and it was crushed to half or about 1.25" and that is supposed to help the engine?
With 6 exhaust tube trying to push the air out of that bottle neck I'm amazed the engine runs half way decent at all.

If a muffler deteriates on the inside so as to restrict air flow--you replace it. If a cat converter collapses on the inside it can cause the engine to run badly and with poorer fuel milage, so you replace it. If you were to crush your exhaust pipe with a rock to about 1/2 it's size I don't think any muffler shop would say it's OK---- it will help torque just leave it alone.

Just a thought, why don't professional racers have all their exhaust pipes crushed? Seems to me they have huge exhaust pipes to get the air flowing more easily, just for the same reason they port and polish their heads. Better air flow--better torque.

As for me, the Jeep is very happy now and runs much better-----that's not a bad thing. Cost was $130

Last edited by whitelite; 04-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Pipe Crushed just below header flange