Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust Help!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Exhaust Help!

Hello All,
New to CF and just wanted to pick your brains if I could. I've read alot of great info on here and need a little bit more. My son and I have just put a '95 reman. 4.0L in a 2000 Cherokee Classic. I noticed that the head doesn't have the standoffs for the bolts to mount the coil pack but I can work around that. The engine fired right up. I was a little concerned because I wasn't sure I had the cam sync. in right but I must have. The problem comes from the exhaust. I have a big leak which seems to be right at the front by cyl. #1. Are the exhaust ports located the same on the head from a '95 and the '00? I tried to tighten the bolts but they are tight. I have the 2 exhaust manifold setup on this jeep and I didn't see any cracks when I had them off. Any info or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Welcome to the Cherokee Forum!

The 4.0l head got some design changes in 98 to meet emissions IIRC. From reading about swaping heads I vaguely remember hearing one problem about exhaust leaks right where your talking about when interchanging between years. I'm pretty sure the exhaust ports are different, because the 98+ don't flow as well as the 97 and earlier. Your gonna want to get it taken care of soon, because exhaust leaks that close to your valves can make them burn out.

Can you see a hole? or does the gasket cover everything, but doesn't make a seal? I always use a very thin layer of high temp copper RTV around all the ports. You might just need to re-torque the intake/exhaust nuts too. Always torque to OEM specs and follow the proper sequence for your year
Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Year: 2000/1996
Engine: 4.0

x2 ports are differant.

Last edited by maxwedge; 11-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the replies. I took it back apart and it looks like the gasket that was provided with the long block doesn't have enough material around the exhaust ports. I went to Autozone and got a gasket for a 2000 and it looks like it covers quite a bit more area around the ports. I'll find out once I put it back together and start it up. Now the only thing I have to deal with is the shift solonoid codes P0743 & P0753. I had to get a new Neutral safety switch since the old one got broke but I notice that I can't possibly get the neutral standard line on the switch lined up with the grooves in the manual valve shaft. I guess I'll just work with that one when I get to it.
Thanks again.