Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Excess pressure in fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Excess pressure in fuel tank.

The other day when I went to fuel the jeep I had a problem. When I removed the fuel cap I was hit with a blast of gas vapor. I have done a search. What posts I found the problem wasn't resolved. I have been having what I thought were heat soak problems. Which is new, I have vents in my hood. Haven't had problems till now. It has warmed up. I live west central FL.

Thanks,
Ben

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 HO RWD
Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by sotrhRaven
The other day when I went to fuel the jeep I had a problem. When I removed the fuel cap I was hit with a blast of gas vapor. I have done a search. What posts I found the problem wasn't resolved. I have been having what I thought were heat soak problems. Which is new, I have vents in my hood. Haven't had problems till now. It has warmed up. I live west central FL.

Thanks,
Ben

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 HO RWD

What have you tried so far? It wouldn't be an engine heat soak issue, it is an Evap system issue. Your canister purge valve may not be working.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 AM

I replaced charcoal canister mid last year. Also replaced egr valve about same time. Any way to narrow down. Other than just replacing them again.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Not sure if this is true in Jeeps, but in other makes the fuel tank cap should allow some venting of vapors after XXX amount of pressure build up on the tank, that is caused by the fuel getting warmer in the tank.
I remember one time my car stall on the freeway, everything looked like I did not have fuel on the tank, however I had plenty of fuel.
After a while a mechanic stopped by, and gave me a hand, he checked the carburetor, the distributor and nothing. At the end he removed the fuel tank cap and lots of pressure came out, just as you described, and he told me "this is it"
the fuel vapor pressure is not being released, and that is locking up your fuel pump, you need to have this cap replaced, it is clogged on the venting mechanism, so I did, and after that I had a small amount of vapor coming out when I removed the cap, and no more stalling.... caused by this

Bottom line, not sure if this is true for Jeeps, but it is true for some other makes, so may be good to check the fuel tank cap!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by sotrhRaven
I replaced charcoal canister mid last year. Also replaced egr valve about same time. Any way to narrow down. Other than just replacing them again.

Thanks,
Ben

Our Jeeps do not have EGR. If you have replaced the canister purge valve, then check to see if you have power and ground at the connector for the valve.

I hate to be this vague but something somewhere is not allowing the tank to vent properly, whether it's a clogged/pinched line, a gummed up charcoal canister, an inoperative purge valve, or a gas cap.

This is a weird problem to me because excess pressure will usually cause something to give and create a leak.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 AM
Seasoned Member

It's normal to occasionally experience this.

Last edited by CrawdadSlim; 03-18-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Additions