Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

EVAP Leaks?!? My Favorite :D

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO
Default EVAP Leaks?!? My Favorite :D

Well, as the title says, my Jeep developed an Evap leak today. She kicked the CEL on, gave me a p0445 evap code. I started tracing all of the evap system lines and couldn't find any obvious leaks. The gas cap has a good seal, and the charcoal canister and purge solenoids don't seem to be acting out of the ordinary. I don't have the means to smoke test the system, so I crawled underneath and found a pervasive fuel smell coming from the tank. My money is on the pump seal leaking a bit. Will report back when I have a chance to drop the tank and give it a look.

This story wouldn't be complete, though, without a little bit of Jeep magic. I have yet to fix my fuel return valve issue (Poor Man's Prime), but somehow the Jeep now starts on the first crank without fail. Gotta love Jeeps.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM

I will probably go the route of fuel pump, check valve, and seal. Might as well kill as many birds with one stone as I can.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

On my 01 XJ the EVAP cel was fixed by replacing two short rubber tubes under the drivers seat on the frame rail. These lines go back to the charcoal canister/tank area. You might look for something similar on yours. The fuel pump seal is pretty stout. Unless the fuel pump was changed and installed improperly I find it hard to believe the fuel pump seal would be the cause, but anything is possible. I would think the lines are more likely the problem.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.6L Stroked

Pretty hard to find evap leaks without a smoke machine. Maybe you could use a air compressor with very light air blowing through the evap hose going to the intake. Not really sure what else you could do.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Ten to one says it's the 1/4" steel tube that connects the roll over valve (vent) on top of the gas tank to the EVAP canister is rusted out and has a pin hole in it.

The fix is to replace the rusty steel tube with a fuel rated rubber hose.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by md21722
On my 01 XJ the EVAP cel was fixed by replacing two short rubber tubes under the drivers seat on the frame rail. These lines go back to the charcoal canister/tank area. You might look for something similar on yours. The fuel pump seal is pretty stout. Unless the fuel pump was changed and installed improperly I find it hard to believe the fuel pump seal would be the cause, but anything is possible. I would think the lines are more likely the problem.
I looked that direction, but didn't see or smell anything obvious there. The strong fuel scent in the rear leads me to believe it is likely at or very near to the fuel tank. Also, I've heard of a few instances of the seal leaking due to vibration loosening the twist cap that holds the pump in.

Originally Posted by CCKen
Ten to one says it's the 1/4" steel tube that connects the roll over valve (vent) on top of the gas tank to the EVAP canister is rusted out and has a pin hole in it.

I'm not so sure on that one. This jeep is nearly rust free underneath. Nonetheless, I shall consider it as I investigate. I do wish I had access/funding to go the route of the smoke test, but I suppose I can settle for compressed air. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to improvise.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen

FIXED. There were 2 issues to contend with here. Your suggestion was very close. The line you mentioned is a bit rusty, but the line itself wasn't leaking, the rubber connector to the EVAP canister was dry rotted and was leaking. The other issue was that when someone replaced the fuel pump ages ago, they did not sufficiently tighten the fuel tank cap. Now she starts first time, every time, no CEL, and no fuel smell. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.